Ticket to leave the country

RalphW
Posted
Posted

New guy here. I have to have a ticket to leave for within 30 days of when I arrive? I understand the reasoning but I don't plan to leave, just throw the ticket away? Does my ticket have to be back to my point of origin in the US, or just out of the country? Say Hong Kong or whatever is cheapest.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Your exit ticket doesn't have to be within 30 days.  You can book it way into the future.  I booked to Kota Kinabalu as it was very cheap. Realistically you can stay in the Philippines for 3 years on a tourist visa but I think the maximum an airline will give is one year.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Any nearby country will do.  The reasoning for an onward ticket is, in the event the Philippine government requires you to leave, for any reason, the government won't have to pay for your ticket.  

• Like 3

RalphW
Posted
Posted

Thank you gentleman for the help. I did get my ticket today to Manila. Exit ticket to Kuala Lumpur in October. I have leased a house in Antipolo. I have read this forum and others for many months. I fully expect to represent the expat community well.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
peterfe
Posted
Posted

It's VERY important to have a ticket out of the country. I've travelled all over the world and sometimes (perhaps foolishly) didn't bother to get one for a country where it was in theory required but internet posts suggested that they "never" asked for it. There may be contributors to these forums who've arrived in the Philippines many times without being asked for a ticket out of the country. But you can also be asked to show it at the airport in the country you're leaving. At the Cebu Pacific check-in in Hong Kong on the way back here, I was asked to show my ticket out of the Philippines, and I don't think I would have been allowed to board without it. The price of a single ticket to e.g. HK bought many months in advance is pretty modest, and well worth it for peace of mind when travelling!

• Like 1

RalphW
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the response. I ended up with a ticket to arrive Feb 6th. My ticket out of the country is to Koala Lumpur.  Much cheaper than back to Cleveland Ohio. At least initially I will be living in Antipolo, Rizal. About 15 miles from Manila?