What are the reasons Immigration can kick me out for?

boyee
Posted
Posted

My Asawa and I are planning to move to the Philippines and as a foreigner I would like to know what I am not allowed to do.  We are going to build a house and couldn't imagine getting kicked out or not allowed to re-inter for doing stuff that is perfectly legal in the States.  I know I cannot own a firearm or land.  But what about getting into some local trouble?  What if I get into a fight with a scam artist or pickpocket?  What if I have a disagreement with a local and words are exchanged?  I understand that insulting Filippino culture or religion in public is a bad idea but is it likely that could get me exiled?  If I get arrested for some minor offence would that automatically get me banned?  

Obviously I will keep a low profile, stay away from shady situations and be a good boy, I don't anticipate getting into trouble.  But with little rights in the PH I would like to know my limits so I don't screw up my retirement plans.

Any real life advice would be appreciated 

graham59
Posted
Posted

You are not permitted to work or take part in any business activity unless you have an appropriate visa (such as a 13A... marriage).

Falling out with a local may well get you killed, never mind blacklisted. That is something to be avoided at all costs. Suck it up . Their country. Their rules.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, boyee said:

Obviously I will keep a low profile, stay away from shady situations and be a good boy, I don't anticipate getting into trouble.  But with little rights in the PH I would like to know my limits so I don't screw up my retirement plans.

You should be fine.  Also be sure to not become involved in politics in any way.  It is even best to not give an opinion if asked.  It is also a good idea to introduce yourself to the barangay captain where you intend to live.  

• Like 4

boyee
Posted
Posted

Right, I was thinking of just that.  Introducing my self to the barangay captain.  Im coming out there in January and have been stock piling toys and candy for the kids in town.  I thought I would ask the local captain if their police or fire dept needed any supplies from America so I could bring out next trip.  Now my better half said that may not be a good idea.  She thinks I should stay far away from anyone with authority.  Now she left the Philippines as a teenager so she doesn't really know how to get around as an adult so maybe some on this forum has more insight.  

Also, I know not to insult a large group of people.  I certainly won't make broad statements like "Filipino's are __________!"  They take that very personal I know.  But what about an individual?  Lets say I am shopping in the market and a vendor wants to charge double the price to me.  Do I stay away from an argument at all costs or is there any leeway for a foreigner?

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

To be blacklisted by Philippine Immigration requires that you did something wrong and there is a complaint or warrant.  It can't be for something minor like public intoxication.  The offense must be something similar to a felony in the United States. 

The main problem is errors in local databases.  In my case, my name is the equivalent of John Smith and there must be thousands with an identical name.  For several years, every time I exited the Philippines, they would call airport security for a Level II verification.  Someone with the same name was wanted for multiple murders.  Then it stopped.  I assume the guy was either caught or killed.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, boyee said:

Im coming out there in January and have been stock piling toys and candy for the kids in town.  I thought I would ask the local captain if their police or fire dept needed any supplies from America so I could bring out next trip.

Take it slow.  You said you would keep a low profile.  Don't create a parade of toy and candy giving so that everyone knows the rich American has arrived.  Same with the supplies.  You may think you are sewing the seeds of love but the bad guys just see a target.

A better way might be to work with some local charities and clubs to contribute toys and supplies.  Be part of group giving.  I would do most of this after you arrived to stay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

You are not permitted to work or take part in any business activity unless you have an appropriate visa (such as a 13A... marriage).

Falling out with a local may well get you killed, never mind blacklisted. That is something to be avoided at all costs. Suck it up . Their country. Their rules.

Falling out with a local is unlikely to get you killed to be fair, unless it is  a pretty big fall out! 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, boyee said:

But what about an individual?  Lets say I am shopping in the market and a vendor wants to charge double the price to me.  Do I stay away from an argument at all costs or is there any leeway for a foreigner?

Using the market example - I would recommend to smile and say "My asawa said I should only spend xx peso for that so I guess I should find another vendor?"  Make sure you smile, act friendly,  and phrase it as a question.  The price should drop to the expected level, if not just keep smiling, say thank you and walk away.   There will always be people who consider you wealthy and will try to take financial advantage of you.  For them it may be just considered good business!  As you become known in the community you will almost certainly find yourself paying the same price as the locals in most cases.  

The second question is more complicated.  It is important to avoid conflict and confrontation whenever you can but you need to do it in a manner that does not portray yourself as fearful or weak.  As a suggestion you may want to google " Philippines smooth interpersonal relationships" and it can help with an understanding of how most Pinoys relate to each other in social settings.  In terms of winning/losing an argument I would suggest you google "Philippine hiya concept".  This will give you an idea of the potential for violence should an argument escalate. 

These are my opinion only of course and I do not want to give you the impression that this is a dangerous place to live.  I have lived here five years now and absolutely love the Philippine people.  I have found them to be a gracious, kind, warm, friendly, and outgoing people.  That being said there are "bad apples" in every barrel so it is important to avoid conflict to the maximum extent possible.

1 hour ago, boyee said:

Now my better half said that may not be a good idea.  She thinks I should stay far away from anyone with authority.

Perhaps your wife means you should avoid being "associated" with anyone in authority.  By that I mean it is important that you not be perceived as "favoring" one politician over another.   If that is her concern then I would tend to agree with her but that is different than a first introductory meeting.  By introducing yourself to the captain would show that you respect his authority and are somewhat aware of how the Philippine system handles local problems.   Also you would be meeting him, or her, prior to any potential issues that may arise in the future.  

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Falling out with a local is unlikely to get you killed to be fair, unless it is  a pretty big fall out! 

Your 'small' fall out may be the local's big fall out.

So, best totally avoided.  

I am purely going by the 'motive' given for most of the foreigner murders that I have been aware of during my many years association with the Philippines. It can be either personal, or business-related, of course. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Your 'small' fall out may be the local's big fall out.

So, best totally avoided.  

I am purely going by the 'motive' given for most of the foreigner murders that I have been aware of during my many years association with the Philippines. It can be either personal, or business-related, of course. 

I agree that falling out with the locals is best avoided - but I'd say the same for any country including our own t.b.h. 

I just think that it needs to be a pretty big fallout to result in someone being killed - even here.

• Thanks 1