Philippines Expat Merit Badges

earthdome
Posted
Posted

On my current 7 week visit back to the Philippines it occurred to me that expats here are exposed to many new experiences. Some of those may justify rewarding of a merit badge or be a right of passage. What things do you consider to justify a merit badge or is a right of passage. Here is the one that sparked this post.

1. Driving on EDSA, or any of the really congested streets in Manila during rush hour traffic. This is you actually driving the car. Bonus points if this is a rental car you are not familiar with driving. Additional bonus points if it is a manual transmission.

I did this for the first time this visit. Nothing like getting squeezed by a jeepney on each side within inches of the sides of your rented car. Or have the GPS on your phone go wacky while Waze is routing you around traffic jams on side streets.

And a another to get the list started.

2. Eating Balut

I have never ate balut and have no plans to start. I would likely have to be black out drunk to try it and then of course I wouldn't remember.

What experiences have you had which you consider merit badge worthy?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Howard
Posted
Posted

No Balut here either. I've ridden a motorcycle on EDSA many times so I guess that deserves a Merit badge with an oak leaf cluster!

3. Riding on the LRT or MRT and surviving. I've done this many times too.

4. Living in a hut in the province with no toilet, refrigerator, AC or running water for 2 weeks. Been there, done that!

5. rode out a typhoon.

Keep em coming!

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Going to the Dumaguete monthly meeting:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

Having the patience to wait for an actual drivers license and conduction plate from the LTO :hystery:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

When asked by a stranger "where are you going?" you don't scream "NONE OF YOUR FREAKING BUISNESS"

Watch an entire telesyrie and not tell you wife the plot

• Haha 1

Howard
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

When asked by a stranger "where are you going?" you don't scream "NONE OF YOUR FREAKING BUISNESS"

Watch an entire telesyrie and not tell you wife the plot

OMG, I forgot that one as I haven't heard it in a while,  I don't know why? I used to always say while pointing "that way" and just kept walking! It used to drive me nuts too.

• Haha 1

Howard
Posted
Posted

Getting Hey Joe'd and then asked what's your name? Joe of course, my name is Joe!:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2