The Car Service!

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/11/2018 at 7:48 AM, OnMyWay said:

Here in PH, yes.  In the U.S., no.  Miles only.  How about in UK?

The new VW I purchased last year in the USA bases routine maintenance on both mileage and time.

Oil change required every 10k miles or one year.

Edited by earthdome

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Australia is distance or time, whichever comes first (although the time period varies from manufacturer to manufacturer).

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, earthdome said:

The new VW I purchased last year in the USA bases routine maintenance on both mileage and time.

Oil change required every 10k miles or one year.

I may not be up to date on this.  The only one I looked at recently was the Chevy Colorado Diesel:

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2018/2018-duramax-diesel-owners-manual-supplement.pdf

And they have a computer system that tells when the oil needs replacing.  It can be more than the recommended miles and according to what I read on some car forums, that is not unusual.

The problem here in the Philippines is that the thresholds are set so low that it comes into play very often, and is a joke.  My Chevy Trailblazer calls for oil changes every 4 months or 5000 km (3100 miles).  The Colorado above is 12,000 km (7456 mi) IF NEEDED.  They have the same basic engine.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The problem here in the Philippines is that the thresholds are set so low that it comes into play very often, and is a joke.  My Chevy Trailblazer calls for oil changes every 4 months or 5000 km (3100 miles).  The Colorado above is 12,000 km (7456 mi) IF NEEDED.  They have the same basic engine.

Labor in the Philippines is cheaper than most other places and because of the short distance here I just use cheap mineral oil (even cheap mineral oil is easily good for 5000km).

In Australia labor is more expensive and the service distances are longer (but servicing has capped pricing for the first few years) and I use full synthetic oil.

The total cost over time actually works out about the same *shrug*.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Labor in the Philippines is cheaper than most other places and because of the short distance here I just use cheap mineral oil (even cheap mineral oil is easily good for 5000km).

In Australia labor is more expensive and the service distances are longer (but servicing has capped pricing for the first few years) and I use full synthetic oil.

The total cost over time actually works out about the same *shrug*.

Yes, that is what I am doing except I am using semi-synthetic.  Not the cheapest but a lot cheaper than fully synthetic!

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I went to the local market in Valencia yesterday.My Suzuki scrum was very hard to steer, I was thinking crap the power steering is playing up.When I parked I noticed the front tyre was nearly flat.I pumped it up as well as I could and when we left we dropped into the gas station to get them inflated properly.Panic over as the steering is ok now.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I went to the local market in Valencia yesterday.My Suzuki scrum was very hard to steer, I was thinking crap the power steering is playing up.When I parked I noticed the front tyre was nearly flat.I pumped it up as well as I could and when we left we dropped into the gas station to get them inflated properly.Panic over as the steering is ok now.

If it got that flat before you noticed you probably have an issue.

I have a screw in the RR tire of my Brio and it has a slow leak.  I haven't go around to having it "vulcanized" yet so I check it once or twice a week.  It looses about 5 lbs in a week.

Edited by OnMyWay

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have a screw in the RR tire of my Brio and it has a slow leak.  I haven't go around to having it "vulcanized" yet so I check it once or twice a week.  It looses about 5 lbs in a week.

I had the same problem, took it to a vulcanizer and all he charged was 200peso my generous wife gave him 500 pesos.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I will keep checking it and if needed a trip to the vulcaniser will be done.Actually my issue is the grass where I park it is long so maybe that is why I didn`t notice.I did not check the pressure in a while.I normally check each time I fill up with petrol.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I will keep checking it and if needed a trip to the vulcaniser will be done.Actually my issue is the grass where I park it is long so maybe that is why I didn`t notice.I did not check the pressure in a while.I normally check each time I fill up with petrol.

I love TPMS!  (Tire Pressure Monitoring System).  I had it in my Corvette back in the U.S. and now many new cars have it.  Tire pressure is a huge safety component, especially at higher speeds, so keeping them at the proper pressure is important.

You can buy after market TPMS, but I never looked into it much.

• Like 1