Which Visa should I get?

boyee
Posted
Posted

Hi, need help figuring out which visa I need.  I'm sure it has been asked before but I cannot find an older post.  

My wife has recently received her dual Citizenship with the US / Philippines and we are married in the US.  Would I get the 13(A) or retirement visa?  We plan on living in the Philippines permanently but will travel back to the US several times a year to visit fam.

Also, can I get this visa from the Philippines Consulate here in the states before we even move?

Any advise appreciated.

Thank you

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You can get the 13a if married. I have heard it is easier to get in the US, but I got mine in the PIs...

Biggest potential problem with the 13a is the extra travel costs. When you leave the country there is an additional p2,000 or p2,500 fee. It is a 1 year return authorization.  Good for one year, but single use.  Multiple trips a year would get expensive.  13a cost about p11,000 to get it - then only p350 a year at your annual report.

The  SRRV is another option. It takes a lump sum investment, but does not have the travel restrictions. 

Tourist visa is easy... but over time ends up being expensive. I tracked for 1 year and it was like p26,000

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My assumption is your wife now has an American passport. It will include information as to her place of birth which is the Philippines. To be safe, bring her old Philippine passport if she still has it. Her entry status is Balikbayan (returning former national) and the visa is good for one year. It can also be extended. If you and any children are traveling with her, Philippine immigration will likewise grant spouse and children Balikbayan status. Before the visa expires, you can do a visa run by going to a nearby country. Many forum members are familiar with the nuances of doing a visa run. The advantage of Balikbayan is you are exempt from paying the departure tax when traveling overseas. Research the SRRV program. If my recollection is correct, a returning former national (Balikbayan) is exempt from the investment deposit.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Added Note: You wife has to request "Balikbayan" when she presents the passports to the immigration officer at the airport.  

• Like 2

boyee
Posted
Posted

I realize the SRRV is a bit cheeper but it seems to me the 13A would be more permanent.  Or is the SRRV permanent too?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The SRRV is through the Philippine Retirement Authority and it's a lifetime residency permit.  There are all kinds of privileges including bringing household appliances and even a car from the United States duty free.  The 13a is a spousal visa when you marry a Filipino/Filipina citizen.  Your wife's status is a bit more complicated because the United States does not recognize dual citizenship.   Technically, her application for US citizenship means she renounces allegiance to a foreign government.  She, with other immigrants, go before a Federal judge, raises her right arm, and recites, "I pledge allegiance....  " 

The Philippine recognizes dual citizenship provided your wife never gave up her original citizenship (i.e., continues to pay taxes and pays for an annual cedula [resident certificate].)  An attorney practicing immigration law should be consulted.  Again, entering as a balikbayan gives you time to study various options most suitable for your situation.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

(i.e., continues to pay ...and pays for an annual cedula [resident certificate].)  

I wonder how many people do this. or are aware of it?

boyee
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Your wife's status is a bit more complicated because the United States does not recognize dual citizenship.   Technically, her application for US citizenship means she renounces allegiance to a foreign government.  She, with other immigrants, go before a Federal judge, raises her right arm, and recites, "I pledge allegiance....  " 

Please correct me if I am wrong,  It is true that 20+ years ago my wife renounced her Philippino citizenship to become a US Citizen.  but later the Philippines changed the policy and said anyone who gave up their Philippino citizenship can regain it by applying for dual citizenship.  She has done that and has both a US and Philippines passport.  We just did this so she could buy land there.  Now to my knowledge you are correct the US does not recognize dual citizenship but I don't think this matters.  Also because we were married in the US it is true she did need to contact the Philippine consulate here in the states and inform them that the most eligible bachelor in America has been taken off the market.  So I think our marriage is official according to the Philippines government.  I know I can do all the paper work for the 13A here in the states, intact there is no one year probation and only one visit is required.  I'm just not sure if 13A or SRRV is the better option for me.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, boyee said:

I'm just not sure if 13A or SRRV is the better option for me.

The 13A is as permanent as your marriage.  If the wife decides she wants you gone she can have your 13a revoked.  This puts you back to your decision of which visa you want to change to.  The SRRV is permanent unless the BI declares you an undesirable alien and has you deported, highly unlikely.  Many married guys stay as long as they like by taking the wife on vacation once a year and coming back with another year's BB stamp.  Others stick to the tourist visa for themselves, rather than doing the 13A.  So many choices, it's up to you.

boyee
Posted
Posted

ahh, got it.  Well since everything is in her name if she ever developed common sense and left my sorry ass then worring about a visa would be the least of my troubles.  Who would remind me of what I jerk I really am?  How would I be able to park my car without some telling me which parking stall to take only to find a better one closer to the entrance after I am half way parked.  Just don't think I would be able to function without her anyway.  But it does sound like the SRRV would be a better choice.

Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1