Which Visa should I get?

marine6357
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, boyee said:

I realize the SRRV is a bit cheeper but it seems to me the 13A would be more permanent.  Or is the SRRV permanent too?

A retiree who applies for a Special Resident Retiree Visa (SRRV) has the option to enroll to the program based from his retirement status.

Retirement Option and their Required Time Deposit

1. With Pension - 50 years old and above - the required time deposit is US$10,000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000 for couple.

2. Without Pension

35 to 49 years old - US$50,000.00 time deposit

50 years old and above - US$20,000.00 time deposit

Former Filipino Citizens (at least 35 years old, regardless of the number of dependents - US$1,500.00)

Ambassadors of Foreign Countries who served and retired in the Philippines, current and former staff members of international organizations including ADB (at least 50 years old) - US$1,500.00

Also if former Honorably Discharged military can get the reduced rate.

Except for the military section Here is the website for more info

http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa/special-resident-retirees-visa-srrv

Edited by marine6357
  • Thanks 1

boyee
Posted
Posted

The money isn't the issue but Senior hound dawg has just informed me that with the 13A if the wifey left me the visa goes too where as the SRRV is more loyal.  lol

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, boyee said:

We plan on living in the Philippines permanently but will travel back to the US several times a year to visit fam.

The least hassle and the cheapest would be to claim the balikbayan privilege on each return to the Philippines.  The privilege is good for a full 12 months and you could always convert to temporary visitor visa if you did/could not leave prior to the 12 month deadline.  No fees, no annual report, etc.  However, you might have a problem getting a Philippine driving license?  Also some banks may require an ACR card to open a joint account.  Were I in your shoes I would use the BB privilege and see how it works out for a few years and then decide if a visa would make life easier.

FYI - I have a 13A but I have yet to return to the states in five years and no current plans to visit.  Also I am not a big fan of air travel to maintain the BB privilege because I always seem to end up getting the flu when flying in a petri dish with wings. :angry:  For me the best choice was the 13A.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, boyee said:

Please correct me if I am wrong,  It is true that 20+ years ago my wife renounced her Philippino citizenship to become a US Citizen.  but later the Philippines changed the policy and said anyone who gave up their Philippino citizenship can regain it by applying for dual citizenship.  She has done that and has both a US and Philippines passport.  We just did this so she could buy land there.  Now to my knowledge you are correct the US does not recognize dual citizenship but I don't think this matters.  Also because we were married in the US it is true she did need to contact the Philippine consulate here in the states and inform them that the most eligible bachelor in America has been taken off the market.  So I think our marriage is official according to the Philippines government.  I know I can do all the paper work for the 13A here in the states, intact there is no one year probation and only one visit is required.  I'm just not sure if 13A or SRRV is the better option for me.  

Yes.  You are correct.  The Philippines permits former Philippine citizens regain their citizenship through an application process.  The US government policy won't recognize the dual citizenship, but they are cognizant that this is permitted by other governments. In other words, having dual citizenship is not a violation of US law.  As a returning Filipino without dual citizenship you can own land, but it is limited.  It is enough land to build a home in an urban area and, I believe, three hectares of agricultural land.  The limit is lifted for dual citizens.

I actually had faced a similar problem.  My land ownership exceeded what was permitted by law.  One suggestion was dual citizenship although the family lawyer's opinion is I was grandfathered because the ownership was before changing my citizenship.  To avoid any possible legal problems, I decided to sell. 

We know of a family whose children have four passports.  One of them, a university professor, went on a one year sabbatical to Barcelona, Spain.  The local British International School would not accept their daughter's US citizenship because they were already overrun by Americans.  The same with Australians.  So they registered their daughter as Finnish even if she couldn't speak the language.  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

if you are traveling out of the country each year, the balikbayan stamp is a good option.  You go through immigration with your spouse and they stamp your passport for a 1 year stay - free.  If you are traveling anyway... it makes sense. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

if you are traveling out of the country each year, the balikbayan stamp is a good option.  You go through immigration with your spouse and they stamp your passport for a 1 year stay - free.  If you are traveling anyway... it makes sense. 

Caveat.  When you return to the Philippines, your wife has to be with you.  The balikbayan privilege is given to her and the courtesy is extended to you as an accompanying spouse.  As a 13a visa holder, you pay the departure tax.  With a BB visa, the departure tax does not apply.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2018 at 7:51 AM, boyee said:

We plan on living in the Philippines permanently but will travel back to the US several times a year to visit fam.

I would go for the Balikbayan,seems a bit of fuss and money to go one of  the other ways when there is no need.If your circumstances change in the future then go down one of the other roads.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, boyee said:

ahh, got it.  Well since everything is in her name if she ever developed common sense and left my sorry ass then worring about a visa would be the least of my troubles.  Who would remind me of what I jerk I really am?  How would I be able to park my car without some telling me which parking stall to take only to find a better one closer to the entrance after I am half way parked.  Just don't think I would be able to function without her anyway.  But it does sound like the SRRV would be a better choice.

Thank you

To be honest, I'm like you.  If my wife was no longer able to support my 13A then I doubt I'd want to stay here.  I also wonder if she was to pass away before me, who would tell the BI i.e. would I be able to remain here until I passed away? 

If both types are available to you, I'd go for the cheapest and simplest option.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2018 at 12:55 PM, boyee said:

Who would remind me of what I jerk I really am?  

Do you know how many people put their hands up to answer this?:whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

boyee
Posted
Posted

LOl,  Okay no seriously put your hands down.  no really put them down.  

21 hours ago, hk blues said:

To be honest, I'm like you.  If my wife was no longer able to support my 13A then I doubt I'd want to stay here.

Actually I would stay, even if alone.  It was my idea to move to the Philippines, not my asawa.  In fact I had to convince her to do it.  First of all I love the food!.  I love her family, but I guess if she left me they would cast me out of the family.  That would suck.  I bought a large farm in the hopes that her family will come live with us.  That is my dream.  I've read that invading in laws can be a thorn in the side but my wife's family are not poor so I think that makes a difference.  Not to sound like the jerk than I am, I only mean no one would ask for money with a long sad story attached.  So I feel they are genuine when we hang out.  Come to think of it they always insists on paying for everything when we visit.  Perhaps my experience of the PI is different from the average Joe.  But again I've digressed, The balik bayan requires the wife to travel with me I think.  This would not always be the case so maybe a SRRV in my own name would be best.

• Like 1