Renewed my passport. Is my existing ACR still valid when I go to extend my stay?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimdones said:

Thanks sonjack for asking there! And thanks everyone for the answers. This sounds encouraging, so hopefully I won't need a new ACR for the upcoming extension.

For the extension following that, I'm still curious if they can send an ACR to a different BI office than the one you extend your stay in, and how long it takes to receive it these days. Since it kind of restricts your travel if you have to pick it up from the same office and it takes roughly 3 weeks to arrive (that's the length of time it took last time I did it).

I'll try ask them about it once I go there and report here :)

When you leave the Philippines you will need to show your entry stamp in your old passport so you can leave.When you come back the entry stamp will be in the new passport so no need to carry your old PP with after that.As for the delivery of the card that is up to the local BI so yes ask them.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

When you come back the entry stamp will be in the new passport so no need to carry your old PP with after that.

Although I was here over a year and for some unknown reason the BI wanted my old passport even though I came here with a new one and had not been here for about 5 years before that.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimdones said:

This sounds encouraging, so hopefully I won't need a new ACR for the upcoming extension.

You have not mentioned when your ACR card expires and how long your next extension will be for.

2 examples from my own experience:

ONE:  My ACR card was due to expire in a month and I wanted a 2-month tourist extension.  Response:  No problem, Sir, we can do the ACR card renewal with your next extension because it is still valid for now.

TWO:  My ACR card was due to expire in 3 weeks and I wanted a 6-month tourist extension.  Response:  Sorry Sir, but your ACR card will expire soon so we can do a 6-month extension but we have to include the renewal cost for your ACR card.

This is the Philippines so be prepared for your experience to be different from others.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Although I was here over a year and for some unknown reason the BI wanted my old passport even though I came here with a new one and had not been here for about 5 years before that.

Well as per usual one size does not fit all.I went out with new and old PP and when I came back I had to show both and the new entry went into the new one after that I never needed my old one again when going out.

gabgab
Posted
Posted

My "old passport ACR" is due to expire in March 2019. I entered the country again just recently (with my new passport), after a few months in Europe. So I hope to extend once (for 2 months) in December without a new ACR, then for the next extension, I would already need a new ACR anyway.

4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

ONE:  My ACR card was due to expire in a month and I wanted a 2-month tourist extension.  Response:  No problem, Sir, we can do the ACR card renewal with your next extension because it is still valid for now.

That's interesting because I had the same situation at the beginning of this year with a previous ACR, and at BI they told me "sir you want to extend for 2 months but your ACR is valid only for one month more, so you already need a new ACR". Exactly the opposite than what you experienced :)

• Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, jimdones said:

My "old passport ACR" is due to expire in March 2019. I entered the country again just recently (with my new passport), after a few months in Europe. So I hope to extend once (for 2 months) in December without a new ACR, then for the next extension, I would already need a new ACR anyway.

That's interesting because I had the same situation at the beginning of this year with a previous ACR, and at BI they told me "sir you want to extend for 2 months but your ACR is valid only for one month more, so you already need a new ACR". Exactly the opposite than what you experienced :)

One never knows what they require as different officers interrupt different ways depending on their daily whim.

One point I wish to make which seems to carry weight at airports. If one has a question and via facebook asks the question at BI manila (which they respond to) prints out answer and brings it along the airport BI officer will usually accepts this. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
gabgab
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just to update on this as I just extended at BI Makati. The ACR belonging to my previous passport was no problem, as many of you suggested. I didn't need to re-do my ACR as it is still within the validity period.

I asked both on Facebook and at BI Makati and both said that it is not possible to apply for ACR in one branch and pick it up in another. It must be done in the same branch. ACR can take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

The good news is that according to them there's no rush to pick it up. If you're traveling (within the country), you can come back and pick your ACR up a couple of months later all the same.

Supposedly you want it with you when you leave the country at the very least, but personally they never asked me to present it at the airport. Then again, it's probably not the best idea to leave it at the BI office forever. Just pick it up when you're back in the city.

Edited by jimdones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

The Philippines should be welcoming foreign retirees who can prove an income instead of making it difficult every step of the way.

It pumps much needed money into the economy and helps many families in dire need. 

I've had MANY problems with the BI in Manila starting with the Balikbayan stamp when I first arrived.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

The Philippines should be welcoming foreign retirees who can prove an income instead of making it difficult every step of the way.

They do? What issues do you see? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Honestly speaking, I doubt there are enough retired foreigners here to significantly impact the overall economy and their/our contribution may be much welcomed at the local level (partners/families etc) but doubt it  is meaningful beyond that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2