Filipino Passport - Travel Cross-border From U.S. to Canada

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I thought maybe some of you Canadians could help with this.

I'm toying with a family trip to Northwest U.S. and would also like to drive to Vancouver, B.C.  Not on the same trip, but we would also like to visit Niagara Falls some day and drive into Canada there.

My wife and older daughter are Filipino passport holders and I know if they fly direct into Canada they need to get a Canadian visa in advance.  I was wondering if there are any quick visas available to them at the border if we are driving across from the U.S., and they would already have a U.S. visa.

???

Thanks!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Good question.  I think they still need to get a visa but my best guess is they could get all the info they need from this site
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

Entry requirements to Canada, along with many other countries, has become strict.  IF they are green card holders in the USA but still on a Philippine Passport THEN I think they can get electronic travel authorization (ETA) online.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good question.  I think they still need to get a visa but my best guess is they could get all the info they need from this site
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

Entry requirements to Canada, along with many other countries, has become strict.  IF they are green card holders in the USA but still on a Philippine Passport THEN I think they can get electronic travel authorization (ETA) online.

Yes, after I posted I did a bit of research and found quite a few people asking similar questions.

If you have a green card and are flying in, you need the ETA.  If you are driving and have a green card, you don't need it the ETA.  However, that doesn't apply to us.

The reason I asked was it seemed like in the 80's we drove across in New York and they didn't even check us.  Long time ago, far far away!

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

If they have entered the US on a visitors visa they will surely need the same to enter Canada. Where they are travelling from will have no baring.

• Like 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The reason I asked was it seemed like in the 80's we drove across in New York and they didn't even check us.  Long time ago, far far away!

Yes crossing into Canada used to be much easier but not anymore, As US citizen you will need either an Enhanced Drivers license or your passport to cross same as coming back to USA. As for the filipino PP holder I am am unsure about visa requirement. So remember even if a US citizen will need one of those 2 types of ID. Good luck and if you do decide to do Niagara Falls give me a holler Can give some good advice on things to do things to avoid and restos or hotels to stay at.

• Like 1