What happens to me when my wife dies before me

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Instead of hijacking another post, the heading is the question. For argument sake: I've got my life sorted, I own a house, maybe children, car, healthy amount in the bank account + a dog. I'm on a 13A, or balikbayan visa then the wife looses her grip on the perch. There is a law that allows you to remain in the house until you pass, but I can not find anything about the rest that I have mentioned. What sort of Visa do you revert to, can you still access the bank account, who owns the car?. If your grief stricken and decide to head back home, what can you sell up or can you drain the bank account, don't forget it reverts to an estate and a cranky heir could make things sticky. 

Don't forget Filipinos have got the law on their side, maybe another member has heard of a situation like this or been through it, I'd like to know, thanks. :unsure:

• Hmm thinking 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

If I recall a lot of your answers are here, 

4 hours ago, Clermont said:

If your grief stricken and decide to head back home

Nah, plenty of fish in the Philippines 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

can you still access the bank account, who owns the car?

You should have three separate bank accounts - joint, your name and her name.  They should be linked allowing electronic money transfers from one account to the other PER YOUR INSTRUCTIONS.  Either one of you has access to funds in the event of someone's demise.  Additionally, keep some cash at home for emergencies.  Your overseas accounts are a separate matter.

The car belongs to the person named in the registration.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nah, plenty of fish in the Philippines 

No good catching fish if you can't afford to look after them properly.

• Like 1

boyee
Posted
Posted

I've looked into land issue before, there is a list of hierarchy 

Primary - Legitimate children and/or descendants

Secondary - Legitimate parents and/or ascendants; illegitimate parents (will inherit only in default of the primary heirs)

Concurring - Surviving spouse; illegitimate children and/or descendants

It is actually way more complicated than that.  After hours of researched I've come to the conclusion that the gardener will have more rights to the land than I.  Just kidding, I think 1/3 goes to her parents if they are still alive, 1/3 to her children, and maybe I might get 1/3. Just as long as we don't have a gardener.  I believe this is the only way a foreigner can own land.  

• Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, boyee said:

I believe this is the only way a foreigner can own land.  

No, a foreigner can't own land, in the original post the foreigner has a right to live there until his demise, which could be a week or a long time, depends on his relationship with the heirs. :thumbsup:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, boyee said:

I've looked into land issue before, there is a list of hierarchy 

Primary - Legitimate children and/or descendants

Secondary - Legitimate parents and/or ascendants; illegitimate parents (will inherit only in default of the primary heirs)

Concurring - Surviving spouse; illegitimate children and/or descendants

It is actually way more complicated than that.  After hours of researched I've come to the conclusion that the gardener will have more rights to the land than I.  Just kidding, I think 1/3 goes to her parents if they are still alive, 1/3 to her children, and maybe I might get 1/3. Just as long as we don't have a gardener.  I believe this is the only way a foreigner can own land.  

My wife's parents have passed away and we have no kids and we don't have a gardener. What will I get? 

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jimeve said:

My wife's parents have passed away and we have no kids and we don't have a gardener. What will I get? 

If your wife has siblings then they are infront of you.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jimeve said:

If you own a gold mine, her family will get the gold and you will get the shaft. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3