What happens to me when my wife dies before me

boyee
Posted
Posted

Again I could be mistaken but I have read in several places that a foreigner can own land if his wife dies.  Clearly everyone in her family is ahead of him but I am pretty sure he is able to own a small portion of it.  Does anyone know for sure?  Since we bought a farm I am happy to share with her whole family but I'd at least like to have enough space for a Bahay Kubo and my Carabao.  Something, I did pay for it after all.  The land that is.  The Carabao just followed me home one day.  

boyee
Posted
Posted

Art. 996. If a widow or widower and legitimate children or descendants are left, the surviving spouse has in the succession the same share as that of each of the children. (834a)

So since we only have one child together.  My child and I would have equal rights to the land.  I am just not sure if her parents and her siblings would be higher up on the hierarchy than us.  I would think her child would come first before her parents and siblings but then again what do I know, I'm still worried about the gardener.  

• Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/13/2018 at 5:34 PM, jimeve said:

My wife's parents have passed away and we have no kids and we don't have a gardener. What will I get? 

A lawnmower.

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, boyee said:

Since we bought a farm I am happy to share with her whole family but I'd at least like to have enough space for a Bahay Kubo and my Carabao

Judging from the one experience I know of, I think you are getting very close to what would happen.  Her family would not kick you out, but they would gradually all start moving in, with all kinds of reasons why they must do it (like their bamboo house blew down in the last typhoon and you have a concrete house so they need to live there with you).  I am not sure how my buddy and the whole famn damily are getting along now as we lost touch 4 years ago.  But at that time there were a lot of her relatives living with him.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

A lawnmower.

and a cook

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gary D said:

If your wife has siblings then they are infront of you.

Have you a link to that, please.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Tom covered it all in post 2;  It has all been thoroughly documented by our owner/expert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

This topic is covered by our very own forum owner who is qualified to answer. Everyone should re visit this topic, https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/26818-succession-estate-law-in-the-philippines/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

Tom covered it all in post 2

You beat me by 2 seconds

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, jimeve said:

My wife's parents have passed away and we have no kids and we don't have a gardener. What will I get? 

Headache!!!  :tiphat:

• Like 1