If you need a US Bank Account, check out SDFCU

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Just make sure to upload everything when you apply. If not, they might come asking for more. I uploaded passport, ss card, phils DL and proof of billing address. that's it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/2/2018 at 9:40 PM, JeSsDaDdY said:

Just make sure to upload everything when you apply. If not, they might come asking for more. I uploaded passport, ss card, phils DL and proof of billing address. that's it.

What did you use for proof of address?  My ACR permanent resident should work?  It has the address.  DL has it too.

I opened an ACA account and I will send some documents to SDFCU today.

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

What did you use for proof of address?  My ACR permanent resident should work?  It has the address.  DL has it too.

I opened an ACA account and I will send some documents to SDFCU today.

A couple of bills and lease.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I applied for SDFCU membership today, savings and free checking, and have one extra piece of advice over what JeSsDaDdy has already given.

Supposedly there is a 10 minute limit to the online application process, which is fine, except for one thing.

You are given a chance to upload documents and flag them as "ID" or "Proof of Residence" or "Copy of SS Card" or "Other".  On the first go round I added 8 items and could not continue due to the unforeseen error "maximum total file size 2.8 mb".  That is not much in this day and age.  I had to resize all my files to a very small size to make it under the 2.8 mb limit.

After I did that and started over, no issues.  So, make sure your files are under the limit before you start.  I uploaded passport, DL front and back, ACR card front and back,  PLDT bill,  ACA receipt and SS card.

Another nice thing was that you can open the accounts, up to $500, with a credit card, which I did.  A bit easier than an ACH transfer, at the moment.

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I applied for SDFCU membership today, savings and free checking, and have one extra piece of advice over what JeSsDaDdy has already given.

Supposedly there is a 10 minute limit to the online application process, which is fine, except for one thing.

You are given a chance to upload documents and flag them as "ID" or "Proof of Residence" or "Copy of SS Card" or "Other".  On the first go round I added 8 items and could not continue due to the unforeseen error "maximum total file size 2.8 mb".  That is not much in this day and age.  I had to resize all my files to a very small size to make it under the 2.8 mb limit.

After I did that and started over, no issues.  So, make sure your files are under the limit before you start.  I uploaded passport, DL front and back, ACR card front and back,  PLDT bill,  ACA receipt and SS card.

Another nice thing was that you can open the accounts, up to $500, with a credit card, which I did.  A bit easier than an ACH transfer, at the moment.

Let us know how it goes and how long it takes for them to open the account. Like I said, mine took a while. I just sent in the app for my daughter's account, so we will see what happens with that.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/10/2018 at 5:44 PM, JeSsDaDdY said:

Let us know how it goes and how long it takes for them to open the account. Like I said, mine took a while. I just sent in the app for my daughter's account, so we will see what happens with that.

They approved my accounts today, so it was only about 4 business days.

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They approved my accounts today, so it was only about 4 business days.

Oh that's great. Glad to hear it went well for you. Let us know what you think after you start using the account some.

• 9 months later...
StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Okay, so it's been about 9 months with the SDFCU account, and I have to say; it's been great. ACH deposits from my annuities and pension are painless and always credited to my account on time (and usually a day or so early). Moving money from the account to the Phils via Transferwise is really fast now and usually takes less than 24 hours (just have to time it right.)

I have opened checking and savings accounts for the kids and also opened a couple of credit card accounts. I have even received pre-approval notices for personal loans and car loans that can be used here in the Philippines.

I used the account to receive my modest income tax return this year and it was so easy and quick. I also received a check from someone in the US and used the remote deposit feature to deposit it with just an image directly into my account. Even with the remote deposit from here, clearing only took like 3 business days.

So far, this account is turning out to be pretty sweet. Again, if you are in need of a US bank account, SDFCU is a really good option. Oh, and before I forget, customer service has been stellar.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/20/2019 at 6:56 AM, JeSsDaDdY said:

Okay, so it's been about 9 months with the SDFCU account, and I have to say; it's been great. ACH deposits from my annuities and pension are painless and always credited to my account on time (and usually a day or so early). Moving money from the account to the Phils via Transferwise is really fast now and usually takes less than 24 hours (just have to time it right.)

I have opened checking and savings accounts for the kids and also opened a couple of credit card accounts. I have even received pre-approval notices for personal loans and car loans that can be used here in the Philippines.

I used the account to receive my modest income tax return this year and it was so easy and quick. I also received a check from someone in the US and used the remote deposit feature to deposit it with just an image directly into my account. Even with the remote deposit from here, clearing only took like 3 business days.

So far, this account is turning out to be pretty sweet. Again, if you are in need of a US bank account, SDFCU is a really good option. Oh, and before I forget, customer service has been stellar.

I haven't had a need to use my accounts there yet.  I have a checking and savings with the minimum in them.  By coincidence, just this past week I inquired again about refinancing my rental house mortgage with them, as they have good rates, but they still only offer 15 year loans for investment properties.  So I guess they don't want that business as a 15 year loan on an investment property is usually not a wise move tax wise.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 12/1/2018 at 11:28 PM, KC813 said:

Agree, stick with the bigger banks. 

I remember a story about a small town Savings & Loan bank in the US that almost went under when one of the employees lost the bank's money.  After a run on the bank, the whole town had to chip in their cash to keep the bank director out of jail.

Oh, nevermind, that was a movie.  :wink:

Did an angel get their wings every time a bell rang?:huh:

• Like 1