English man retiring to Philippines, can work?

TonyHanscomb
Posted
Posted

I am planning to move to the Philippines, i will apply for a retirement visa. Can I do freelance work? (Self employed) to boost my pension?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Tony.

Not sure what you mean by freelance work. Generally speaking NO a Foreigner may not work in Philippines there are some exceptions.

If you were to be doing something online that would be acceptable if kept to yourself.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TonyHanscomb said:

I am planning to move to the Philippines, i will apply for a retirement visa

Welcome

Your talking about a SRRV I assume? This visa says you can study but nothing is mentioned about working.

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

Added

But when asked the question and got an answer in minutes,

Dear Mr Thomas,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes that is certainly possible, but subject to some constitutional restrictions.

Best regards,

James S. Biron, J.D., M.B.A., R.E.B., C.I.S.
PRA Accredited Marketer

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Added

TonyHanscomb
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Welcome

Your talking about a SRRV I assume? This visa says you can study but nothing is mentioned about working.

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

Added

But when asked the question and got an answer in minutes,

Dear Mr Thomas,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes that is certainly possible, but subject to some constitutional restrictions.

Best regards,

James S. Biron, J.D., M.B.A., R.E.B., C.I.S.
PRA Accredited Marketer

Thanks for the info. Yes I will apply for SRRV But I am wondering if after doing that I can set up a small business and get a work permit as well?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, TonyHanscomb said:

Thanks for the info. Yes I will apply for SRRV But I am wondering if after doing that I can set up a small business and get a work permit as well?

Well now we are talking about more than your first post. Generally foreigners can not own a business unless its a corporation. 60/40 rule of ownership. Are you married to a Filipina?   That gives you other options. I assume you are talking about photography business? 

You can talk directly with SRRV with this link, https://www.srrv.com.ph/?gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOcwoJVU6TlsHLJPnTU03ju2kTIqcDSFq0959YqKPNWNdpGbb1b2GQeBoChKoQAvD_BwE#FAQ 

TonyHanscomb
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well now we are talking about more than your first post. Generally foreigners can not own a business unless its a corporation. 60/40 rule of ownership. Are you married to a Filipina?   That gives you other options. I assume you are talking about photography business? 

You can talk directly with SRRV with this link, https://www.srrv.com.ph/?gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOcwoJVU6TlsHLJPnTU03ju2kTIqcDSFq0959YqKPNWNdpGbb1b2GQeBoChKoQAvD_BwE#FAQ 

Not married, and yes photography. 

Perhaps it's not at all possible but worried my pension won't be quite enough 800 UK pounds per month.

TonyHanscomb
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the usefull info. I will contact and talk to them.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TonyHanscomb said:

Not married, and yes photography. 

Perhaps it's not at all possible but worried my pension won't be quite enough 800 UK pounds per month.

I have a close friend with an SRRV.  He likes to travel through the islands taking photos for additional income.  To prevent local employment issue problems, the photos are marketed through a stock photography company based in Hong Kong.  

I previously owned an advertising photography studio in the Philippines. Don't forget to bring lots to silica gel or a small dehumidifier for the closet where you plan to store your equipment.  The humidity is incredible. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

TonyHanscomb
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I have a close friend with an SRRV.  He likes to travel through the islands taking photos for additional income.  To prevent local employment issue problems, the photos are marketed through a stock photography company based in Hong Kong.  

I previously owned an advertising photography studio in the Philippines. Don't forget to bring lots to silica gel or a small dehumidifier for the closet where you plan to store your equipment.  The humidity is incredible. 

Yes I could do something like that but stock agencies don't pay out much. I am a member of I stock photo and I have hundreds of pictures with them. Sold 20 photos last month and got 12 us $ !!!

I could partner with a local company I guess. 

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

You could try looking for an online photography job, my wife just got one paying $800 per month, supposed to be fulltime but only takes her about 10 hours per week, literally just has to take pictures of cakes and sweets.

800 pounds per month won't be too bad if you're single if you've got savings for any emergencies etc.

• Like 1