English man retiring to Philippines, can work?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum, you chose well.  Regarding your income of 800 GBP,  there are lots of posts on here about costs and the cost of living, just use the search facility to find them, you will them very useful.

My own opinion is that yes it can probably be done but its not going to be comfortable.  I have been living here just over a year now and have noticed the small increases in basic living costs, i guess we can just call it inflation, another problem can be the exchange rate of the pound to the peso,  when you are on a small and certainly tight income it can make a difference to the monthly spare cash that you have to spend.  There are also other fees that you will have to take into account and budget for such as visa fees and mandatory ACR card.  As a fellow Brit I wouldn"t advise living here on less than 1,000 GBP per month and there will be months when extra bills come in that are going to push your budgeting skills.  Having said all that,  its just my own humble opinion and I am so happy that I made the move, its a great place to live.  Good luck to you.

I guess it's like the question "How long is a piece of string?"  - there are so many variables (location/lifestyle/habits etc).

I think the impact of exchange rates shouldn't be underestimated as you have said - fluctuations can be as much as 10% over a year +/- - it makes a difference to most of us.  I guess that's why so many Americans have a big smile at the moment whilst us Brits less so! :wink:

Another very important thing is the buffer for unexpected emergencies - especially important here where there is really no welfare net to catch people.   

• Like 3

Sharmain Patricia Go
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Working or owning a business in the Philippines is a totally separate topic from your SRRVisa application.

The main purpose of SRRV is to enable you to stay in the Philippines hassle free and indefinitely provided you meet the requirements.

I am an accredited Philippine Retirement Marketer and can help assist you in your application.

You may reach me via the ff:

email: prasrrvisa@gmail.com 

I will be glad to assist you.

Thank you!

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed FB

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/15/2018 at 10:44 AM, Eddie1 said:

As a fellow Brit I wouldn"t advise living here on less than 1,000 GBP per month

I would say that is a good piece of advice,I spend a little less but have no rent to pay.

• Like 1