Tim Ho Wan Chinese restaurant Seaside mall Cebu

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Killer Dim Sum at Tim Ho Wan seaside mall Cebu. Fed 12 hungry family members some who were reluctant to try at first once started it wasn’t long to order much more.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are looking forward to the best Dim Sum in Metro Manila.  Friends are inviting us to a Chinese restaurant for lunch.  The location is the Shangri La Hotel in Mandaluyong.  Must try Tim Ho Wan when visiting Cebu.  Loved Dim Sum since my childhood days.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why is there called Dim Sim in my old neck of the woods? 

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Why is there called Dim Sim in my old neck of the woods? 

Dim Sum is different to Dim Sim...

Dim Sim is a trade name for the westernized mass produced version.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Dim Sim is a trade name for the westernized mass produced version.

ahh mee see nowww. :xmas_girl:

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It use to be called "Yum Cha" or "Drink Tea" referring to small plates of food you consumed with tea. The original system was keeping the plates and small steamers on the table until the end of the meal. The waiter would count and you paid based on total consumption. Then they changed to the card system wherein the server added a chop mark as they placed dishes at your table. A labor saving innovation is they give you a card and you mark which items you want and the quantity. Then the food is brought from the kitchen to your table.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

It use to be called "Yum Cha" or "Drink Tea" ...

It still is in Hong Kong - very popular with the locals and foreigners alike 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

It still is in Hong Kong - very popular with the locals and foreigners alike 

There are Yum Cha places in Australia also, I never knew that it was basically Dim Sum (although I'd noticed that the food served was often similar).

Learn something new every day... thank you JJReyes :)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Learn something new every day... thank you JJReyes :)

Your are welcome.  

My younger sisters and I wanted our parents to take us to a Chinese lauriat (banquet).  My father agreed provided we learn to use chopsticks.  He brought out a dish of oily peanuts to use for practice.  You had to learn to pick up one and hold it a few seconds without dropping.  Years later, there was a television show "King Fu" starring David Carradine.  I had strong empathy with Grasshopper and his training ordeal.  It reminded me of the time I had to learn to use chopsticks.  There was no comparison, but it was a good story to tell friends at gatherings.  They would laugh and I would then challenge them to pick up morsels of food with chopstick.  Not the Japanese wooden ones, but the Chinese version made of plastic.  

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I have always found the wooden ones (even the disposable wooden ones) easier than the plastic ones.  I can manage but I’m still a bit slow eating with them.