Brexit turmoil

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am of the Opinion now that the banko central will not let the rate be as bad as we are all thinking, There is Too much at stake for the Philippines to mess too much taking into the Amounts sent home by the OFW's , Brexit will not affect the Country I believe but the People and the Revenues? well that is Different, read the link for the Loss that could be incurred if the BC don't keep a keen eye on things and make sure the locals are protected.;

https://www.loansolutions.ph/blog/why-filipinos-overseas-filipino-workers-care-brexit/

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My personal opinion of the EU is it is now a very corrupt organisation ! When the UK joined what was then  the EEC every thing was fine basically, but nobody back then except a few corrupt politicions  knew the real plan behind the EEC! Slowly over the years the EU emerged as it is now, the EU is run or controlled by a group of members from the European Peoples Party, and this party has the most seats in the European Parliament , and its Members include Junker,Tusk,Merkel, Barnier,Weber,Selmayer.Varadkar,Rutte.

There is only 1 EPP party member from the UK and he is Anti Brexit.

The EU will do all it can to make things bad for the UK, but what they are ignoring is the fact that EU member countries could also suffer through loss of trade with the UK. I used to work at the Eurotunnel and the amount of HGV traffic from the EU is roughly  75% from the EU 25% from the UK ! But the EU Elite seems to be ignoring this fact with the threats of HGV delays , which will eventually meaning the UK will turn away from the EU for many things, and import more from the US,Australia,China and Asia. Oh  The poor French farmers !

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, expatuk2014 said:

My personal opinion of the EU is it is now a very corrupt organisation ! When the UK joined what was then  the EEC every thing was fine basically, but nobody back then except a few corrupt politicions  knew the real plan behind the EEC! Slowly over the years the EU emerged as it is now, the EU is run or controlled by a group of members from the European Peoples Party, and this party has the most seats in the European Parliament , and its Members include Junker,Tusk,Merkel, Barnier,Weber,Selmayer.Varadkar,Rutte.

There is only 1 EPP party member from the UK and he is Anti Brexit.

The EU will do all it can to make things bad for the UK, but what they are ignoring is the fact that EU member countries could also suffer through loss of trade with the UK. I used to work at the Eurotunnel and the amount of HGV traffic from the EU is roughly  75% from the EU 25% from the UK ! But the EU Elite seems to be ignoring this fact with the threats of HGV delays , which will eventually meaning the UK will turn away from the EU for many things, and import more from the US,Australia,China and Asia. Oh  The poor French farmers !

I don't think the EU is ignoring the negative consequences of the UK leaving - that's why they are making it hard for us to do so! 

I have no idea about the HGV split, or general trade split but I've not seen much contradiction when the EU claim the balance is strongly in their favour. 

Yes, leaving the EU may enable us to trade more freely with other parts of the world but will this compensate for the loss of EU trade?  UK business leaders don't think so.  I'm not sure which poster mentioned it, but it's better to listen to business leaders than politicians when it comes to the business impact.

Regardless, it has all the makings of a Lose-Lose scenario.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure which poster mentioned it, but it's better to listen to business leaders than politicians when it comes to the business impact.

Listen to all, then make your own decision.  A business leader may know how to put more money in his own pocket but will it trickle down to the commoner?  A politician may know that support for his position means job security for him.

When any organization has a few making the monetary contributions for the many then it will not last long if the ones paying the bills quit.  How long do you think the EU will last without any UK money?  The only question on my mind is:  Who is next to leave?  When you can answer this then you have the UK's first European trading partner and the rest will soon follow.  IMHO.  But I could be wrong.  President (name withheld by forum) said the USA did not need any trade agreements that were not favorable to the US economy and the US economy is growing in leaps and bounds. Make UK Great again.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Listen to all, then make your own decision.  A business leader may know how to put more money in his own pocket but will it trickle down to the commoner?  A politician may know that support for his position means job security for him.

When any organization has a few making the monetary contributions for the many then it will not last long if the ones paying the bills quit.  How long do you think the EU will last without any UK money?  The only question on my mind is:  Who is next to leave?  When you can answer this then you have the UK's first European trading partner and the rest will soon follow.  IMHO.  But I could be wrong.  President (name withheld by forum) said the USA did not need any trade agreements that were not favorable to the US economy and the US economy is growing in leaps and bounds. Make UK Great again.

Brexit is not as simple as listening to both sides and forming an opinion though.  We are dealing with the unknown and there is no precedence and either position has a myriad of sub-plots which make it way too complicated for most of us to fathom.  That's why it has taken the technical guys (not the Politicians B.T.W.) so long to come up with a poor plan.  I sincerely doubt any of us are capable of forming a reasoned opinion at this time.  That's why, IMHO, the whole Leave/Remain vote was flawed - we now see people saying I didn't realise leave meant X Y Z!

There are good business leaders and bad business leaders and the same with Politicians.  The key difference (IMHO) is that a bad business leader tends not to survive as long as a bad politician.  It's perhaps not so much which one we trust most as much as which one we mistrust least.  Sad but true.

The EU will last without UK contributions, undoubtedly.  But, they will likely have to scale back their projects/schemes etc.  As for who is next to leave - well, who knows?  There are a few who seem ripe to do so but it will much depend on how the UK fares in the medium term.  For that reason, I don't see anybody leaving anytime soon.  As for the obvious choice of trading partner for the UK post-Brexit (like we have the luxury of choosing)  the USA - President is not following his predecessors and I'm not sure he sees the UK in the same light as others did.  I wouldn't be pinning our survival hopes on the USA.

Honestly speaking, I doubt anyone can predict with any accuracy how things will work out at this time.  It really is a case of a leap of faith - that's what we voted for and what we will need to make.  One thing's for sure, those who will suffer most will be Joe Public and those who gain most will be those further up the ladder. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

And on and on it goes and we are still nowhere on where we should be, the only thing I can see is everyone seems to be dragging there feet and by doing that they are making the British public bored of this .

The people was asked to vote on this matter , the people did vote but it was not what So many  people in the government wanted to read and here lies the problem, if you don’t want to do something you either drag your feet or find things to stop it going ahead.

I am bored with this and I am bored with every party to the point I will not vote every again , what a disaster and it’s down to who, the man who gave us the vote, the government or the people who voted out, or Russia ? ‘ Well they got  President in didn’t they’.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Im beginning to think that this whole mess has been engineered by the politicians of both sides of the channell

Lets face it , Theresa May was an ardent remainer , there's most likely going to be an extension past match 29th  , this irish border thing is an attempt by the government of ireland to grab the 6 countiee in the North back 

Perhaps its all been engineered into us surrendering our democracy to europe ,?

Since its conception , the eu has been unable to have its accounts signed off by their chartered accountants , you can verify this by freedom of information online 

Its a corrupt politicians dream job and most of them are corrupt 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think if we don't get Brexit and there's no civil unrest the remainers will have gifted the Government the right to shaft the public anyway they wish. 

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I have never know weather my vote to leave was the right way to go but when you see the EU with so many countries who's economy is either bust or nearly bust, why would you want to stay? There only seems to be Germany who has a strong economy & even they are suffering, I still think to get out is the way forward but I wish the politicians would get on with it, everyone is fed up.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve if you give up your vote you have allowed elected officials become your rulers. 

If elected representatives refuse to follow the will of the people they have become rulers.