Brexit turmoil

Mick
Posted
Posted

I saw a video on YouTube from a debate in the European Parliament, it stated that the UK leaving was the same as 19 of the smaller nations leaving, and money is needed from the UK indefinitely to fill tbe pension pot.... An unelected corrupt regime...... We should just put the middle finger up, and start again on our own

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's the main point, as I see it.  The  EU do not give much weight to UK concerns whether they are a member or whether they are leaving.  Better to be alone in a lifeboat than arguing with the staff of a sinking ship.  Once the EU does go under, some of the countries will come begging for the UK to give them some help.

The fear of the EU is an easy Brexit will result in other countries likewise leaving the Union.  The EU will make things as tough as possible.  By the way, they haven't release the details of the preliminary agreement.  I am certain the details are awful.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it Switzerland is a member of the European Free Trade Association and yet not a part of the EU.  If they can do it, why not the UK?

I believe you are correct in what you say but Switzerland have NEVER been a member of the EU.

That is the salient difference, most reasons as to why the two countries treatment by the EU is different derives from that single point.

Punishing Switzerland would (if anything) act to discourage potential new member states, punishing the UK acts to scare existing member states from withdrawing for fear of the consequences to themselves.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Punishing Switzerland would (if anything) act to discourage potential new member states, punishing the UK acts to scare existing member states from withdrawing for fear of the consequences to themselves.

:whistling: No one is going to Punish Switzerland ever, they are after all, the EU Bankers :wink:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The suggested recourse is to have another vote whether to stay or leave.  Those who voted for Brexit did it based on certain assumptions which may not happen after the finalized negotiations between Great Britain and the EU.  

No, we voted and we are leaving period.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's the main point, as I see it.  The  EU do not give much weight to UK concerns whether they are a member or whether they are leaving.  Better to be alone in a lifeboat than arguing with the staff of a sinking ship.  Once the EU does go under, some of the countries will come begging for the UK to give them some help.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it Switzerland is a member of the European Free Trade Association and yet not a part of the EU.  If they can do it, why not the UK?

Norway too is not in the EC club.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Maybe then the best two out of three? :popcorn:

Or keep voting, as they did in Ireland, until they get the vote they want.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The Leave vote was a democratic decision and should be respected.  It may have been based on lies and half-truths but what election/referendum isn't?  

That said, when it becomes clear a decision is not in the best interests of the country, there should be a mechanism to revisit, surely?

More importantly, it's making my San Mig lights more expensive! :tongue:

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Remain told far more lies than leave. They said spending cuts and tax rises would happen as soon as the vote was done, we'd go into a recession, 3 million jobs would be lost, there were even people insinuating we'd be fighting WW3 by this point.

It was obvious that the EU would offer us a shit deal though, if we got a good deal then the Netherlands, Ireland, France, Italy would all be quick to leave too.
If they're offering a shit deal then anyone with a bit of sense would just decline it and go with no deal, would probably cause economic problems short term just because investors don't like uncertainty but would be fine long term, we were in a far better situation before joining the EU.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

we were in a far better situation before joining the EU.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1