Brexit turmoil

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't believe there was a suggestion that the consequences of a Leave vote would be immediate - and certainly nobody seriously thought we'd be fighting WW3 by now!

We joined the EEC 45 years ago.  A lot of water has flowed under a lot of bridges since then so it's hard to see how we can take comfort from how good things were back in 1973 before we joined the EEC. 

We'll find out soon enough which side told the most/biggest lies - I hope you're right though!

The treasury (George Osborne) predicted we'd go into recession straight after the vote and a load of job losses.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

The treasury (George Osborne) predicted we'd go into recession straight after the vote and a load of job losses.

We have been there before think WWI & WWII, then got back up only to  let the EU takes us Down but we will be back up in No time :thumbsup:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

That's not quite the same as originally quoted though.  

How long is straight after?  Nobody can really think he meant in a matter of days or weeks.  Sound bites are great for making headlines but usually mislead.

As I said, let's see what the future brings and we will be better placed to judge who told the biggest porkies.  

graham59
Posted
Posted

46327357_590721654675396_2663247639008509952_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

We have been there before think WWI & WWII, then got back up only to  let the EU takes us Down but we will be back up in No time :thumbsup:

There was a vote in the 70`s to leave or not and they voted stay.Many people were unhappy with the situation then,when I asked my mother why they voted stay she told me that as they had paid so much money in already we might as well stay or waste all the money already paid.( this is from my memory)So it seems to me that the UK has been overpaying for a very long time even so soon after the war where we were paying back money we borrowed to not only keep the UK safe but liberate Europe.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 11/15/2018 at 4:52 PM, JJReyes said:

The suggested recourse is to have another vote whether to stay or leave.  Those who voted for Brexit did it based on certain assumptions which may not happen after the finalized negotiations between Great Britain and the EU.  

Maybe that's what will happen. Keep holding votes until remain wins. Then no more votes.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I read there are about 4.5 million Britons living outside of the U.K.  About 1.3 million are in countries belonging to the E.U.  No one knows what will happen if it is a hard Brexit.  A great concern, especially among overseas retirees, is the pounding (no pun intended) taken by GBP vs Euro and USD.   The estimated currency equivalent loss among pensioners is GBP 200 to 250 per month.  That sucks if you are on a fixed income.

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Perhaps they should call another referendum to decide if they should have another referendum !

You could not make this s*%t up .............

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

I read there are about 4.5 million Britons living outside of the U.K.  About 1.3 million are in countries belonging to the E.U.  No one knows what will happen if it is a hard Brexit.  A great concern, especially among overseas retirees, is the pounding (no pun intended) taken by GBP vs Euro and USD.   The estimated currency equivalent loss among pensioners is GBP 200 to 250 per month.  That sucks if you are on a fixed income.

It's always about boomers and their needs, in the end, I suppose.

On a different note...

16684368_1888556754722038_6989336553860986525_n.png

• Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

JJ is that a future loss as that seems a large amount.