Taxis in Manila can charge double over "Christmas Season"

Recommended Posts

  • Forum Support
Posted

Watching  "24 Oras" because Lynne is watching it.  Taxis are asking for double the meter due to the holiday rush.  24 Oras interviewed the head of the LTFRB and he said, in English, "We allow them to charge up to double the meter over the "Christmas Season".  Now its just the middle of November but I guess we are now in the Christmas Season.  Merry Christmas and don't forget to pay the driver double.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Watching  "24 Oras" because Lynne is watching it.  Taxis are asking for double the meter due to the holiday rush.  24 Oras interviewed the head of the LTFRB and he said, in English, "We allow them to charge up to double the meter over the "Christmas Season".  Now its just the middle of November but I guess we are now in the Christmas Season.  Merry Christmas and don't forget to pay the driver double.

First I heard of this Dave, I thought the President cracked down on Taxi's overcharging a couple years back and created a hotline to report abusers. I won't be paying it! I see a lot of buses and jeeps in my future! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

Regular employees receive a 13th month pay.  The proposal  is  a novel way for taxi drivers to get the same.  Does the proposal include plans to recalibrate the meter or you just pay double?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
16 hours ago, Howard said:

First I heard of this Dave, I thought the President cracked down on Taxi's overcharging a couple years back and created a hotline to report abusers. I won't be paying it! I see a lot of buses and jeeps in my future! 

Just another example of the smoke and mirrors rules that we can find throughout this country - totally meaningless when taxi drivers simply refuse to take the would-be passenger.  I wonder if anyone has called the hotline and been able to get through! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
Posted
12 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Does the proposal include plans to recalibrate the meter or you just pay double?

The news on the TV does not have a link to it and, of course, they edit the best voice clip to support their story.  As I understood the meaning behind the head of the LTFRB's statement, it is usual for taxi drivers to "ask for" a tip during the Christmas season so the LTFRB are allowing them to "ask for" up to double what is shown on the meter.  There was no mention of what would happen if a passenger got in and refused to pay the agreed double price when they get to the destination.  What's the driver going to do?  Take them to the police station for not paying more than the metered rate?  In other words, I see no harm in lying and saying "Sure I will pay you double what the meter says but be sure to use the meter" and then when you get to the other end say "sorry, I do not have enough money with me.  I can only pay the meter fare."  :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The news on the TV does not have a link to it and, of course, they edit the best voice clip to support their story.  As I understood the meaning behind the head of the LTFRB's statement, it is usual for taxi drivers to "ask for" a tip during the Christmas season so the LTFRB are allowing them to "ask for" up to double what is shown on the meter.  There was no mention of what would happen if a passenger got in and refused to pay the agreed double price when they get to the destination.  What's the driver going to do?  Take them to the police station for not paying more than the metered rate?  In other words, I see no harm in lying and saying "Sure I will pay you double what the meter says but be sure to use the meter" and then when you get to the other end say "sorry, I do not have enough money with me.  I can only pay the meter fare."  :thumbsup:

That's where the pistol under the drives seat comes in handy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

I better start practicing the phrase, "No Inglis." (I never learned Standard American English).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

Good news for Grab, I'm not sure if Philippine taxi drivers or Malaysian are the worst out there. I needed to just go down the road quickly the other day, only 500M, but stinking hot. 3 taxis sitting waiting for fares, got in the first and he tries to charge me P150, as he will get stuck in traffic, I said there is no traffic and I will give him P100. 3 minutes to my destination!

I've thought about it and marginally its Malaysian, but Philippines gets the silver medal............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

I've given up on Grab in Manila.  The last 20 odd times I've tried it I always get the same message " Drivers are busy go back to booking screen" I'm also finding the majority of drivers will rdfuse to use a meter so I get back out of the taxi.  It's usually meter plus 50 peso these days or you don't get one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
23 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Good news for Grab, I'm not sure if Philippine taxi drivers or Malaysian are the worst out there. I needed to just go down the road quickly the other day, only 500M, but stinking hot. 3 taxis sitting waiting for fares, got in the first and he tries to charge me P150, as he will get stuck in traffic, I said there is no traffic and I will give him P100. 3 minutes to my destination!

I've thought about it and marginally its Malaysian, but Philippines gets the silver medal............

 

4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've given up on Grab in Manila.  The last 20 odd times I've tried it I always get the same message " Drivers are busy go back to booking screen" I'm also finding the majority of drivers will rdfuse to use a meter so I get back out of the taxi.  It's usually meter plus 50 peso these days or you don't get one. 

I use taxis in Cebu quite often and dont recall ever a problem. Meter goes on and thats it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...