Taxis in Manila can charge double over "Christmas Season"

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, earthdome said:

Hmm... I used Grab 15-20 times in Manila the last 2 months. I was always able to get one within 10 minutes. A few times I had to retry because there was no driver. The Grab cars and drivers are so much nicer than the taxi's. Perhaps it depends on where you are in the NCR. Most of my requests were in the Pasig area.

Mine were Malate and Makati area for departures. Various destinations.  You can forget Malate to Makati anytime after 4pm due to traffic.  I have some sympathy as a few times I've climbed into a taxi, rode 100m then sat not moving for 20 mins.  Once it was so bad the taxi drove on the pavement. 

At Buendia I'd guess 99% are a rip off as in over 20 taxis I've taken from there only one has put the meter on without asking, others once I ask the refuse to take me and the same speaking to a few friends. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/21/2018 at 8:45 PM, earthdome said:

Innova Van I wanted to rent

More off topic a bit.  I am glad I never reserved an Innova to rent.

We have a brand new Toyota dealership here in Subic Bay Freeport.  We went over there for a walk around yesterday.

The Innova was a car I had thought about getting.  I tried to sit in one at a mall display and it was too small.  I tried again yesterday, and the sales person confirmed that the seat and steering wheel were at their maximum size adjustments.  No go for my legs.  I'm 6'2" and it would appear that anyone over 5'10" will not fit in the driver's seat.  Same for the HiAce.

I think the other Toyotas are ok for me.  Even the little Wigo.  I drive a tiny Honda Brio.  No problem.  I don't know why they make the Innova so tiny.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I tried to sit in one at a mall display and it was too small.  I tried again yesterday,

Were you hoping to shrink a little over night?  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:I don't know why they make the Innova so tiny.

Unlike some other Toyota models the Innova is an Asian marketed and designed vehicle and I strongly suspect the driving position was sized taking into account the range of common driver heights in Asian countries.

I fit fine in the drivers seat of ours but I’m only 5 foot 8 myself.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Were you hoping to shrink a little over night?  :smile:

Yes.  Always hoping!

Actually I was hoping the sales rep at the dealer was more knowledgeable about the seat and steering column adjustment, and we had missed something on the one at the mall.  The sales person at the mall was clueless.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Unlike some other Toyota models the Innova is an Asian marketed and designed vehicle and I strongly suspect the driving position was sized taking into account the range of common driver heights in Asian countries.

Yes, but still surprising considering the overall size of an Innova, and even more so the Hiace.  I think it is due to the way the engine is positioned.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

At a skinny 5'11" I haven't had any problems sitting in an Innova.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, earthdome said:

At a skinny 5'11" I haven't had any problems sitting in an Innova.

I double checked and it was not all the excess muscle in my stomach region that was causing the lack of room; it was just my long legs.  Although, possibly the extra muscle in the legs was part of the issue.

The driver that we have used has a couple of Innovas and I have sat up front in the passenger seat without issue, but never noticed that the driver side is much tighter.  Too bad because there are a lot of things I like about the Innova.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Too bad because there are a lot of things I like about the Innova.

If you really wanted one, I bet an enterprising Filipino bodyman can move the seat 2 inches back.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

but never noticed that the driver side is much tighter.

Might be because I noticed that one side has a steering wheel and the other doesn't. :whistling: