5 Year License

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I thought there was a topic on this but I couldn't find it.  Maybe it was just mentioned in another topic.

I got my first 5 year driver's license today, after a bit of a stumble.

I went to the Subic Freeport Zone LTO Monday to get the renewal.  My first license was at Olongapo BI and my last two year renewal was at the Freeport Zone LTO.  For that last renewal, I did not get any kind of medical exam and I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

For this new renewal, a medical exam was required.  I'm not sure if this is a new policy due to the extended 5 year period, or my age (62) or just a new general policy???

I went to the recommended Dr. in the Freeport on Monday for the exam, and I was very surprised that it was a more professional and thorough exam than I got when I got my first DL in 2013.  I got that at Olongapo LTO and the med exam was next door, and a joke.  Had to pee back then, told them I wore contacts, and I was done.  This time, there was a long questionnaire, picture, vision test on an optometrist type machine, and a blood pressure test.  It appeared that they were linked into the LTO computer system.  The test cost p200.

I failed!  My BP was over the limit of 160, even though I am taking meds.  They told me I could come back within 5 days and not have to pay again.  I went home and realized I had screwed up my meds.  I was only taking half the dose I was supposed to.  I'm not sure exactly when this happened but I bought some meds at Generics about a month ago and I think they gave me 50 mg instead of 100 mg.  Then I went back for more and showed them the 50 mg package, so they gave me 50 mg again.  Very careless on my part and I will be much more diligent going forward.

So I got the right med late Monday and started monitoring my BP closely.  Yesterday morning at 1050 I measured 4 times and averaged around 120-130 over 80-85, so I went back at about 1145 to get tested again.  Crap, the first measurement by the girl was 170/??, using an Omron machine.  So she sent me into another doc who is the main doc at the clinic, and he took it once more manually.  I don't know what he got but he wrote 160 on the form.  I told him about my home measurement earlier and he said sometimes BP goes up due to climbing the steep stairs to the 2nd floor office.  He was a pleasant guy and we chatted a bit.  He wrote on the form that it was a requirement to take my meds, and I was on my way.

Back to Freeport LTO today, and the renewal was a breeze.  There were only a few people there an I was out with a new license in about 30 minutes.

So I am good until 2023 and I will be 67.  It was mentioned that a 10 year license might be coming, but I don't think that could apply to older people.  Are you going to give a 70 year old a 10 year license?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Are you going to give a 70 year old a 10 year license?

Remember where we are.

Is there much difference between doing that and giving my 82-year-old neighbor a 5-year license?  Basically, its good until you die or until it expires. :angry_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I was on my way

You still are, I can see it in your profile :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is there much difference between doing that and giving my 82-year-old neighbor a 5-year license?  Basically, its good until you die or until it expires

Reminds me of what a friend of mine said.  "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in fear like the people in the car he was driving." :hystery:

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

On My Way what documents did you have to show,I have to renew my licence mine within the next month.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

On My Way what documents did you have to show,I have to renew my licence mine within the next month.

Just the old licence and the medical certificate.

• Like 2

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

I just renewed a few days ago also (also 5 years). Only needed old license. No med certificate was required. So, I guess it depends on where you are.

• Like 3