Cooking for Holidays or special occasions

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Living in the Philippines nowadays we find that many Western foods are available.

Do you or your significant other prepare traditional Western holiday meals like Thanksgiving or Christmas? If so what do you prepare?

Do you now include Filipino foods?

What do your Filipino family or friends think of "our" feasts?  I've not met a Filipino that didn't love Pecan pie.

It's 7AM Thanksgiving morning and I'm started cooking for our dinner this afternoon. Turkey smoked in the green egg, ham, mashed potato, stuffing and more. :th_thbarbaque:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

No oven here so we eat out. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The family mainly turn their noses up at western food, if it not rice it's not filling.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

The family mainly turn their noses up at western food, if it not rice it's not filling.

What Western items will they eat?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Jollibee :smile:

• Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Jollibee :smile:

Even Jollybee is just chicken and rice, no burgers. The mother in law visited us here in the UK a few years ago snd we thought all this nice food you can try. No rice and soup was all she'd touch for 6 months.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/23/2018 at 3:17 AM, Old55 said:

My 2 like Pasties,meat pies,sausage rolls,real chips, mashed potato,

parsley sauce amongst a lot of other things,oh and my daughter loves Broccoli,and shepherds pie, stew,she actually prefers when I cook mum doesn`t mind as there is more rice for her.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

0AEE521F-6DD7-4155-A6E2-812BAC41B297.jpeg

I take the easy way out to prepare: 

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 11/24/2018 at 6:09 PM, Gator said:

0AEE521F-6DD7-4155-A6E2-812BAC41B297.jpeg

I take the easy way out to prepare: 

Double dead.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Except for my wife, none of her people like turkey. So for Thanksgiving, I had Butterball turkey roast, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce I found at the Swiss Deli here in Davao. We didn't have a big sit-down meal for the family. I pretty much celebrated by myself (and a few members of the Murphy stout family).

For Christmas, it's always whatever they make for Noche Buena (ham, fried chicken, pancit, etc.) reheated on the day.

For New Year's ham was traditional at my house and so it popular here as well, along with somesort of chicken or fish for the Muslim members of the family.

Most of my Philippine family will eat a variety of western food. I still don't understand the rice with spaghetti thing but then, a Hawaiian plate lunch is rice with macaroni salad and I've eaten plenty of those, so...