Visit no 3 begins

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

A good shout keeping away from the main Barangay.  I'm up a hill a good few hundred metres from a tiny Filipino community and they can start videoke before 6am.  No cockerels but there are a few dogs about, all well fed fortunately but they sometimes join in with the chorus.  

Once you're here full time I'd recommend getting a couple of decent sized dogs for company and security.  Entertainment in the sticks can be limited and even cable TV unless you splash decent money on the internet if it's available is dire.

It certainly looks like you're not hanging about getting your plans in place.  Keep up the good work. 

Yes we share the thinking on dogs I'm also going to put in some solar powered security lights 

The best laugh was last night ,the dinner escaped , one guy and I admire his knowledge and skill took it down 45kilo pig was pissed off 

As for the videoki that's been allowed to day , then its being packed off to where it came from 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, bastonjock said:

As for the videoki that's been allowed to day , then its being packed off to where it came from 

Good luck with that.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)

Time for an update , well today we had to visit her lolo,the old girl is 90 and very frail but still going 

We left davao and headed towards gen San we stopped about 30 mins before gen San and pulled off the concrete road and into the barrio I enjoyed the drive ,gf has her own car an old Nissan that got valeted the day before and covered over night 

We were warmly welcomed and the family obviously wanted to meet the Kanu,breakfast was served and I sat down ,the house was made of wood an old rickety looking affair ,the food was cooked on an indoor wood fueled fire two types of chicken were served Adobe and another in a thin soup ,I can honestly say I really enjoyed the soup one and to their delight I requested a cup of the broth ,smiles were in Abundance and questions asked about my marital status etc just after breakfast a guy came around selling little bags of red stuff ,gf bought 10 or so and promptly emptied a bag into a soup bowl and presented it to me , err what's that , its sarap a few replies and those smiling faces just left me with no option other than to try it , I pretended to enjoy it ,I still.dont know what it was

Around lunch time 4 new faces appeared,these were the cousins and all of them were teachers,so a competition began on who could hold conversation in English the longest , I felt truly welcome

To be continued 

Edited by bastonjock
  • Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

What I witnessed today was a family pulling together to look after their matriarch  , money is tight with gfs family,its a bit if a scale of wealth from the doctor sister and brother in law at the top to the parents on a gov pension at the bottom, the visitors dipped in to their wallets and donated funds for Lola's welfare ,she has a full time caregiver but they need to buy food and stuff and pay for the care , I felt a bit humbled by it all 

We left and headed home ,on the way I witnessed another side to Philippines life , the lifeless bodies of two youngsters who had been in a collision with a bus ,it was just like an earlier post on the forum reported , lots of people hanging around and looking ,no one trying first aid ,who ever they were they were schoolchildren, the girl and the boy laying on the ground with a gap of 20ft between them , the boys leg was twisted at a fearfull angle ,they both just laid there immobile 

• Sad 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

We left and headed home ,on the way I witnessed another side to Philippines life , the lifeless bodies of two youngsters

Welcome.jpg To the philippines

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I'm sitting at the jungle house ,just enjoying the ambience,its a little bit cooler up here ,200 meters above sea level, the chill out factor is high ,I just need a hammock 

I tried the gastronomic delights of chow king at Toril this morning,it beats jollibee, I've only a few days left before I get on the plane to the minus temperature of a wintery UK so I'm enjoying soaking up the heat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Life can be tough out here in the jungle

20181205_120119.jpg

• Like 4

Mick
Posted
Posted

Tough in the Tropics 

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Life can be tough out here in the jungle

20181205_120119.jpg

Yes life's tough over here, we arrived here Tuesday for six weeks, we are doing Christmas with  my wife's brother and relies this year.  Looking foreword to chilling out and we are mixing western tradition with PI tradition, a little present  plus 20 pesos for the children, and present for the adults, they've come out of the bloody woodwork, ha ha. The wife had a full suitcase full of presents for them, plus solar Christmas lights, yes Christmas time in the PI,s is wonderful. :cheersty: I  hope the jolly old fellow can find me :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

plus solar Christmas lights....

As well as solar lights, we bough a set of lights from Ace which are powered by water and salt!  3 weeks in and still going strong.  

• Like 1