Seniors discounts and perks for Filipinos

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I will search around for further confirmation and share!

I did a bit more searching and found we were not the aliens referred to. :whistling:

Aliens.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, GeoffH said:

I wonder how many shops will actually do this?

And how many shop staff will just say "that's not for foreigners"...

The main place where I get groceries will do it if I get the card.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It looks like it was only May of this year the bill was passed for aliens to avail the discounts.

https://www.senate.gov.ph/lisdata/112729581!.pdf

How do I know that is effective?  My searching only turned up that same document.  At the bottom, it says Approved and will be effective 15 days after it's publication in at least 2 newspapers.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

How do I know that is effective?  My searching only turned up that same document.  At the bottom, it says Approved and will be effective 15 days after it's publication in at least 2 newspapers.

I only said it looks like it but you can search some more to see.  Im not sure if the date is 2011 or 18 with the way its written.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I only said it looks like it

It looks like one of the many bills that are continuously introduced by senators and accepted as being submitted but there is no signature of approval by any governing body.

I say it ain't so, but I have yet to see any foreigners deported for obtaining an illegal card (cash under the table to the issuer is the norm) and if the establishment accepts it that's great.  If not, I would not raise a stink about it.  I have seen two different foreigners raising a ruckus in public about that card not being accepted.  Neither ended well but neither got deported, just asked to leave the premises.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I say it ain't so, but I have yet to see any foreigners deported for obtaining an illegal card (cash under the table to the issuer is the norm) and if the establishment accepts it that's great.  If not, I would not raise a stink about it.  I have seen two different foreigners raising a ruckus in public about that card not being accepted.  Neither ended well but neither got deported, just asked to leave the premises.

It's interesting how establishments identify who holds a card legitimately and who doesn't - simply by looks I assume?  I can only imagine the trouble this would cause in some countries, and the number of racism cases going through the courts. "I'm sorry sir, we cannot accept your discount card because you don't look British"!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

My wife uses her card all the time, but if booking local flights she has to produce it and me, no discount. I let her book the hotel rooms, it's a big saving when traveling around. :thumbsup:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My freind uses his Colorado driving licence.He has not had a problem at restaurants in the four years I have known him.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89:  I think all this depends on where you are and what you are attempting to achieve, We know that we ( the foreigner ) are not entitled to the card per-say But it does depend on the Establishments view on things.

Only this Morning, I was called very early from the Queue to have my blood taken at SUMC and I knew that others were in line before me. So I asked and the nurse said well Sir your Form says you are 70 and that makes you a Senior and between 6am and 7am we do Seniors First then fit the others in between and after :whistling: it is not all bad but I did have to pay Full price for the laboratories  :sad: One day maybe we will get that card EH? :huh:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It looks like it was only May of this year the bill was passed for aliens to avail the discounts.

https://www.senate.gov.ph/lisdata/112729581!.pdf

This bill was put forth in 2011 (15th Congress) with a last status shown as "pending in Committee".  I am assuming it died in committee.  In addition to being a senior Philippine citizen, the current privilege was restricted to those whose income was less than 60,000 peso per year when the bill was passed in 1992.  That income threshold may have changed or probably is being ignored. 

The law is quite clear, this privilege is for Philippine senior CITIZENS.  Maybe someday it will happen for expats but I am not going to hold my breath.   And I will definitely not try to obtain one under false pretense.  

https://www.senate.gov.ph/lis/bill_res.aspx?congress=15&q=SBN-2832

• Like 1