Possible Senior Discounts For Expats Coming!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I hope this comes true!  This would save my family a bundle!

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/30927/dot-it’s-more-fun-to-be-a-senior-in-philippines

MANILA, Philippines—Soon it will be more fun being a senior citizen in the Philippines, which is heading toward becoming the first country in the world to give discounts to retirees of any nationality.

Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez said Thursday that a policy is in the works that will entitle foreign senior citizens visiting the Philippines to the same 20 percent discount on goods and services enjoyed by elderly Filipinos.

“By the end of the year, the Philippines could be the first country in the world to grant discounts to all senior citizens arriving in the Philippines,” Jimenez said in a speech at a general membership meeting of the Makati Business Club.

Jimenez said the discount should apply to all goods and services discounted for Filipino seniors. The discount, he added, will show that the elderly are respected in the Philippines.

“It is the right thing to do: to show that they are truly welcome here,” Jimenez said. “There is no reason we cannot communicate to the world that the Philippines is fun no matter [how old] you are,”

Filipino senior citizens enjoy a 20-percent discount on goods and services under Republic Act No. 9994, or the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010, which also relieved them of the 12 percent value added tax.

For foreign senior citizens, Jimenez said the measure had been discussed with the Department of Finance and the Bureau of Internal Revenue, which may be expected to issue directives on its application within the year.

Asked whether it would affect government revenues, Jimenez said he hoped additional spending by foreign pensioners would offset the loss from the discounts.

Read more: https://globalnation.inquirer.net/30927/dot-it’s-more-fun-to-be-a-senior-in-philippines#ixzz5Y2jxQ2ut
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I hope this comes true!  This would save my family a bundle!

Your source is dated 2012

I put a link in the other topic which appears it did come true this year. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Your source is dated 2012

I put a link in the other topic which appears it did come true this year. 

I missed that.  At the top of the Inquirer web page, it has today's date, so they fooled me.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I missed that.  At the top of the Inquirer web page, it has today's date, so they fooled me.

It's an age thing. :hystery:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, Snowy79 said:

It's an age thing. :hystery:

So I should get the discount!

• Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So I should get the discount!

I have been offered the discount in Jollybee. At  BDO bank they wanted me to go to the front of the queue.I was thinking to buy a walking stick and get faster service at places.

• Haha 1

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

Now that we have 2 threads on senior discounts, I’m left wondering if any of the same expats that boasted about leaving big tips at Jollibee (in a different topic) are now looking for discounts at Jollibee.  If so, we’s a strange lot... ain’t we? :89::hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Now that we have 2 threads on senior discounts, I’m left wondering if any of the same expats that boasted about leaving big tips at Jollibee (in a different topic) are now looking for discounts at Jollibee.  If so, we’s a strange lot... ain’t we? :89::hystery:

Why would anyone leave a tip in Jollibee?  I very much doubt anyone would leave a tip in a western fast food restaurant so why leave one here?

:89:

• Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Why would anyone leave a tip in Jollibee?  I very much doubt anyone would leave a tip in a western fast food restaurant so why leave one here?

I'll give a tip... don't eat that stuff and I'm being kind.:SugarwareZ-047:

• Haha 3

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

Strangely enough, in my neck of the woods in the U.S. (Great Lakes region), most fast food restaurants have tip jars or buckets and I don't think I've ever seen one empty.

I'm always amazed that establishments such as Starbucks, Chipotle, 5 Guys, etc. which are by no means inexpensive and really don't offer personal service have the nerve to put out a tip jar and I'm even more surprised that folks feel the need to fill it; it's also very common to see a lot of $1 bills and I often see $5 bills in there as well.

I sometimes am just dumbfounded at how the U.S. has changed in my lifetime.

While I'm no great fan of McDonalds, and to their credit, I've yet to see a tip jar there.

I'd be much more inclined to drop my change in a tip jar in the PI since I'm more sympathetic to the difficulties workers face there.

• Like 4