Possible Senior Discounts For Expats Coming!

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

Strangely enough, in my neck of the woods in the U.S. (Great Lakes region), most fast food restaurants have tip jars or buckets and I don't think I've ever seen one empty.

I'm always amazed that establishments such as Starbucks, Chipotle, 5 Guys, etc. which are by no means inexpensive and really don't offer personal service have the nerve to put out a tip jar and I'm even more surprised that folks feel the need to fill it; it's also very common to see a lot of $1 bills and I often see $5 bills in there as well.

I sometimes am just dumbfounded at how the U.S. has changed in my lifetime.

While I'm no great fan of McDonalds, and to their credit, I've yet to see a tip jar there.

I'd be much more inclined to drop my change in a tip jar in the PI since I'm more sympathetic to the difficulties workers face there.

Apologies, I somehow forget that the tipping culture is so prevalent in the US so maybe tipping in Jollibee for Americans is not so strange after all.

Edited by hk blues

Gary D
Posted
Posted

In the UK you are more likely to see a charity jar for your change.

• Like 4

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

Apologies, I somehow forget that the tipping culture is so prevalent in the US so maybe tipping in Jollibee for Americans is not so strange after all.

Please don't misunderstand, I wasn't trying to take you task, so absolutely no apology necessary.

Your post just happened to show up at the time of the year when, in the U.S. media, there are a proliferation of 'How much should I tip' articles and it seems to me that each year the number of people the 'etiquette experts' say should be tipped and the amount that is 'fair' always increase.

I responded more because I find tip jars in places with no personal service curious and a little irritating and to let Americans who maybe haven't been 'back home' in a while know about one more change they may be glad to get away from when they return to their new home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just been reading about tips in the US, seems the average a server makes $5k+ per month in a low-mid range restaurant. BRB, just sending my wife on a 6 month 'holiday' to California.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe

Foreigner
Posted
Posted
On 11/29/2018 at 4:12 AM, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

tip jars

Beware!  In the USA, Tip Jar Money at Starbucks could be going to well paid managers and not to the baristas who actually serve you.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/29/2018 at 2:06 PM, Gary D said:

In the UK you are more likely to see a charity jar for your change.

Unless it`s been stolen, which is happening more these days.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 11/30/2018 at 5:13 PM, fillipino_wannabe said:

Just been reading about tips in the US, seems the average a server makes $5k+ per month in a low-mid range restaurant. BRB, just sending my wife on a 6 month 'holiday' to California.

Yet we are constantly hearing why it's necessary to tip in the US to keep servers above the poverty line.  Something isn't computing.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

it's necessary to tip in the US to keep servers

. . . . because the servers need the extra money to support their booze, cigarette and drug habits.  They cannot afford those on a regular salary and they cannot put up with the customers without the drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.  (Just my observation of a few waitresses I knew way back when)

• Haha 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted
On 12/1/2018 at 9:43 PM, hk blues said:
  On 11/30/2018 at 4:13 AM, fillipino_wannabe said:

Where did you get those figures? Everywhere I have looked and seen is well below those figures. 

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Server-Salaries

• Thanks 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Love it

Topic

Possible Senior Discounts For Expats Coming!

Nah nothing like it :28: