Possible Senior Discounts For Expats Coming!

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Where did you get those figures? Everywhere I have looked and seen is well below those figures. 

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Server-Salaries

Googled it and read forums etc. Seems the average tip is recommended to be 18%, they're certainly making decent money if that's the case.

Your link doesn't include tips does it?

• Like 1

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Googled it and read forums etc. Seems the average tip is recommended to be 18%, they're certainly making decent money if that's the case.

Your link doesn't include tips does it?

18%?

Not sure about that - A waitress acquaintance of mine told me a few years back that the 'proper' tip was 25% and since she was a waitress, that MUST be right, right?

JUST KIDDING!

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
On 12/1/2018 at 9:43 PM, hk blues said:

Yet we are constantly hearing why it's necessary to tip in the US to keep servers above the poverty line.  Something isn't computing.  

You're right, there is a lot that isn't computing when one thinks about tipping in the U.S.

It reminds me of the 'little game' played between Captain Renault (Claude Rains) and Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) in the movie 'Casablanca'

It's my belief that most restaurant patrons don't really think about the tip when choosing a restaurant and often surprised when the bill is totaled, assuming they leave a 'reasonable' tip of 15 - 20%; I prefer to think that most people leave something in that range since, as a young teenager, I was taught by an older cousin who was a waitress and worked hard for her money, that 'If I can't afford to leave a tip, I can't afford to eat out'.

Employers like tipping because it means that they are able to pay their employees less than in comparable industries where employees aren't tipped which, beyond the obvious lower expense for hourly wages, likely leads to lower costs for things based on wages such as OASDI (Social Security retirement) and FICA (Medicare) taxes since tipping can be 'flexible' and more difficult to track when compared to fixed hourly wages.

Of course, a restaurant can also then advertise lower prices for food and drink since a component of their costs (employee wages and taxes)  is 'optional' on the part of patrons and the risk of lower compensation (poor tippers and a 'slow' nights) is borne by the employee.

Good service staff like tipping because some can do very well on tips with the added tax 'flexibility' inherent in tipping - however, that can come back to bite them in the ass way down the road after a career in the hospitality industry when they are relying on Social Security retirement.

And one practice that is somewhat common in the U.S. in this age of plastic is that some people, although paying the restaurant with a card, will leave the tip in cash; when I first saw that many years ago and asked about it, my companion told me that was so the waitress could keep all of it if she so chose. I think my companion felt she was somehow screwing the IRS by tipping in cash and also giving the waitress the opportunity to keep all of the tip (some restaurants in the U.S. pool all tips to be split among the wait staff and, less commonly, with the bus boys, back of house, and rarely, managers) that she earned.

So, as far as tipping goes in the U.S., there's a little something (deception) for everyone in keeping the practice going.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Back on subject, we are currently staying in a government owned resort in Mambucal. Upon checking in we were offered a senior discount providing I could produce ID, my RP licence was fine. 20% discount.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
softail
Posted
Posted (edited)

II. Requirements

Individual Certificate

For Subscribers or authorized representatives, the CAs and/or its RAs shall ensure that the identity information is verified by prior compliance with the following:

1. Duly accomplished downloadable form

2. Unified Multi Purpose Identification (UMID) compliant card. (Photocopy)

3. Birth Certificate or valid Philippine Passport. (Photocopy)

4. 1 passport size ID picture

5. Personal appearance to the RA Officer for face-to-face verification.

(in the absence of UMID-compliant card, ANY TWO of the following cards are allowed as valid ID’s based on BSP Circular 608 series of 2008:)

• Passport

• Driver’s License

• Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) ID

• National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance

• Police Clearance

• Postal ID

• Voter’s ID

• Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) e-Card

• Social Security System (SSS) Card

• Senior Citizen Card

• Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) ID

• OFW ID

• Seaman’s Book

• Alien Certification of Registration/Immigrant Certificate of Registration

• Government Office and GOCC ID, e.g. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP ID), Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF ID)

• Certification from the National Council for the Welfare of Disabled Persons (NCWDP)

• Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Certification

• Integrated Bar Of The Philippines ID

• Company IDs Issued by Private Entities or Institutions Registered with or Supervised or Regulated either by the BSP, SEC or IC

• Submit a passport size photo taken within the last six (6) months;

• Phone number (mobile and/or landline);

• E mail address owned by the individual or authorized by the owner for use by the Subscriber;

• Latest copy of a bill showing the physical address of the applicant, where the PIN which will be used to activate a digital certificate shall be mailed; and

• Consent to verify the information submitted.

https://www.gov.ph/viewasset/-/asset_publisher/ULtEgkADAvfO/content/pki-how-to-ava-1?_com_liferay_asset_publisher_web_portlet_AssetPublisherPortlet_INSTANCE_ULtEgkADAvfO_groupId=752885

Should answer some questions

Edited by softail

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, softail said:

Should answer some questions

I dont see anything there to do with senior discounts? 

A public key infrastructure (PKI) is a set of roles, policies, and procedures needed to create, manage, distribute, use, store & revoke digital certificates and manage public-key encryption.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 12/4/2018 at 9:07 AM, RBM said:

Back on subject, we are currently staying in a government owned resort in Mambucal. Upon checking in we were offered a senior discount providing I could produce ID, my RP licence was fine. 20% discount.

This sounds like a courtesy discount not a government mandated senior citizen discount.

softail
Posted
Posted

Ok my mistake

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I guess we all know an ex-pat who somehow has the discount card?  I always wonder if it's worth the risk as it's pretty easy to see that someone isn't a Filipino in most cases.