Few questions about buying a scooter/motorcycle

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I’m thinking about getting a second-hand scooter, or motorbike, the cheaper the better. I’m pretty good with vehicles and engines (mechanically speaking), so I would like to get something a bit older, maybe from a private owner. Are there any website, shops or marketplaces where I could find a few offers? 

How does the registration work? As a foreigner on a tourist visa, can I legally own a motorcycle? How complicated is the process of registering it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

As you could have great difficulty getting a licence on a tourist visa that may be the best place to start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

You're not allowed a driving license on a tourist visa, you could give it a go though, I've heard of some people getting one anyway.

You live in Manila don't you? I wouldn't be driving a motorbike round there as a white guy personally, either get run over or robbed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
1 hour ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

either get run over or robbed.

You seem to say that the risk of getting robbed is bigger while driving a motorcycle, can you explain why? As for getting run over, Manila seems a lot safer to me than some places I’ve been driving before, so that wouldn’t be my biggest concern (go drive in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City on a Saturday evening, after that not much can scare you)

1 hour ago, Gary D said:

getting a licence on a tourist visa that may be the best place to start.

True, I didn’t think about that, since in most countries, as a tourist, you’re allowed to drive with your license from your home country. Is it different in the Philippines? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
Posted
32 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

You seem to say that the risk of getting robbed is bigger while driving a motorcycle, can you explain why? As for getting run over, Manila seems a lot safer to me than some places I’ve been driving before, so that wouldn’t be my biggest concern (go drive in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City on a Saturday evening, after that not much can scare you)

True, I didn’t think about that, since in most countries, as a tourist, you’re allowed to drive with your license from your home country. Is it different in the Philippines? 

Kurt, respectfully please don't think me rude but you ask questions and are given answers that you then second guess or criticize. I think you got some good advise. 

"is it different in the Philippines?" Yes. :whistling:

As a tourist visiting Philippines you are allowed to use a valid drivers license from your home country for I think 90 days. This was covered in a very recent topic. You are living in the Philippines now so you may need to adjust your status to own a scooter or bike. We know you have lived all over SE Asia and have real experience. IMO riding on or driving a scooter or bike in Philippines is highly dangerous. Over the years members of this forum have been very seriously injured and one member killed while riding a bike or scooter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

you may need to adjust your status to own a scooter or bike.

 To Buy a new Motorbike or Scooter you will have to have a Philippines Driving Licence, Buying a used one will undoubtedly only lead to Headaches and Problems that will not be easy to remedy

 JMHO :thumbsup:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Kurt, respectfully please don't think me rude but you ask questions and are given answers that you then second guess or criticize. I think you got some good advise. 

"is it different in the Philippines?" Yes. :whistling:

As a tourist visiting Philippines you are allowed to use a valid drivers license from your home country for I think 90 days. This was covered in a very recent topic. You are living in the Philippines now so you may need to adjust your status to own a scooter or bike. We know you have lived all over SE Asia and have real experience. IMO riding on or driving a scooter or bike in Philippines is highly dangerous. Over the years members of this forum have been very seriously injured and one member killed while riding a bike or scooter.

Wow....it took me quite a while to understand what you meant by all that, and why this is a just a misunderstanding. You see, for now, and for the near future, I’m staying here on a tourist visa, so the question if it’s possible (legal) to drive with my license from home is very relevant to me (my bad if it was recently covered here, I haven’t seen it). Btw, why would you say that it’s different in the Philippines, then proceed to explain that it’s more or less the same as almost everywhere (the 90 days)? But anyway, thanks for that, at least now I’m pretty sure that I’m allowed to drive with my existing license.

 

As for the other question, if you read what filipino wannabe wrote, you will see that it’s just a little confusing, so I asked for clarification: why are my chances of getting robbed higher when I’m driving a motorcycle? Are there roadside bandits or something like that? 

 

Obviously, driving a motorcycle is a high risk activity, but I might still decide to do it, so if anyone has information about where to find a used one and how it works with the number plates , that would be great :)  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
39 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

 To Buy a new Motorbike or Scooter you will have to have a Philippines Driving Licence, Buying a used one will undoubtedly only lead to Headaches and Problems that will not be easy to remedy

 JMHO :thumbsup:

What exactly do you mean by that? I’m grateful for any advice that I can understand, but this, I don’t get at all...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
4 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

What exactly do you mean by that?

Which part do you not understand? :89:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

I think what Jack means is that their can be issues around change of registration. You need to have all the details about previous owners which are not always straight forward to get.

I recently bought a scooter new, got my partner to buy in her name, she doesn't have a license, I do have Philippines license, we informed the dealer that I would be the rider. If you have a regular partner here I suggest you buy new as much less complicated.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...