Few questions about buying a scooter/motorcycle

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Just because you're out in the open, in a car you can lock your door. I see videos of people getting robbed on EDSA nearly every day on my wifes facebook, as a white guy you'll be their first target. The roads may be safer than Saigon but they're still very dangerous.

But up to you, I was fairly care free until I had my dog stolen, got blacklisted, someone try to snatch my wifes bag, house burgled and my maid attempt to burn my house down during my first 2 years here lol and I barely even go out or talk to anyone, let alone piss them off lol.

Now that makes sense, I didn’t know you were comparing it to getting around by car: I thought you were saying the risk of getting robbed was higher compared to my current means of transportation, which is Jeepneys and walking.... 

As for everything else, that sounds like you were quite unlucky, although I don’t know why you mentioned being blacklisted (why?), and bag snatching is an unfortunate reality in many large cities, not just Manila.

Personally , during all my time traveling and living in SE Asia (more than 15 years), I never allowed myself the luxury of being carefree, I was always slightly on the paranoid side, all while still doing what I wanted to do and going where I wanted to go, and so far I’ve been lucky and have had a ‘perfect record’ (0 serious problems, robberies or the like). But I’m aware that this isn’t completely under my control, and I’ve certainly been lucky a few times....knock on wood ;)

• Like 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So good luck,  you may find a deal, but not if someone like me finds it first. :hystery:

And I probably won’t even regret it (if you find it first). You see, when I said second hand, I didn’t mean a few years old, but rather a few decades old, something that I might even have to have rebuilt first (an old Cub for example). I’ve done that a couple of times (in Vietnam) and I love driving these old Hondas, and parts are available easily and cheaply, so rebuilding is just a matter of finding a willing mechanic. He doesn’t even have to be a very good mechanic, since these are not very complex vehicles.

But thanks to all your answers I realize that it’s probably the administrative part which is going to be the biggest obstacle, and I’m not very good with that, so for now, I’m not sure at all what I’m going to do... :(

earthdome
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

True, I didn’t think about that, since in most countries, as a tourist, you’re allowed to drive with your license from your home country. Is it different in the Philippines? 

In the Philippines you can legally drive using your foreign drivers license for the first 3 months you are in the Philippines.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

The Problem we have here is that whenever we get a new Commissioner of BI or LTO we get Rule Changes that make little or no sense to us But it is what it is.

Absolutely spot on.I bought my Motor bike 1 year before you and did not require a Philippines licence.I also had to produce a MB registration to get the MB part put on my licence which I find strange as why would you have a MB(as an expat) without being able to drive it.I had to borrow a registration from a worker in the office.I have not seen too many older bikes here, only the scooter types up in the mountains

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have not seen too many older bikes here,

Yes, I’ve noticed that as well

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Yes, I’ve noticed that as well

Apparently Kevin ( Sonjack) May be selling his Bike ( Honda) @sonjack2847 @KurtVD Just a thought :thumbsup:

graham59
Posted
Posted

The Philippines must have some of the most expensive secondhand junk vehicles (and just about everything else) in the world.  

Oh, the times I've thought... if only I could import vehicles straight from the scrap/breakers yards of Europe... most of which would probably be in far better condition than the ones legally on the roads here. 

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, graham59 said:

The Philippines must have some of the most expensive secondhand junk vehicles (and just about everything else) in the world.  

:wink: Every thing and I mean Everything here in the PI has a value to someone :smile:

graham59
Posted
Posted

It has indeed.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

A few years ago I bought a repo in Cebu that was a good deal. It was a Racal 150cc - forget the model, was more of dual sport type that sat higher. Built in theft protection as was too tall for most pinoys, lol. New the bike went for around 60k and I got it for 30k, only had about 800km on it  

Anyhow, as it’s a Chinese bike I had to basically rebuild it. Almost every nut, bolt and screw was loose or the wrong size. Rust was also an issue and finding parts another. I was lucky that I had decent mechanic who spoke good English near me (in Mabolo). Between the two of us we cobbled together something whenever it broke. Carb from a Honda, sprocket off a Kawasaki, starter from a Suzuki. You get the idea. 

Point is - doesn’t matter how good of a wrench you are, getting parts can be an issue. I’d stick with one of the Japenese manufacturers as it’s not quite as hard to find parts and they seem to hold up better. 

• Like 4