Bringing DVDs and player

Rayj
Posted
Posted

Hi, new here to this forum but not to Philippines. I have been about 10 times with my wife.

For my next visit in Feb I’m thinking I’ll bring about 10 DVDs with player to watch while I am there. Does anyone else do this? What kind of streaming choices might I have?  We are in the province between Tarlac and Cabanatuan. I don’t know the cellular service there. The wired internet service in the house is probably basic at best. Wouldn’t know if it’s 1Meg , 10 Meg, or .1Meg.   Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I bought a Panasonic DVD player that will play DVDs from all countries/systems. Works fine here.

Can't advise on your particular internet connection though.

I also have 2 Xboxes, which connect to the TV using HDMI, so system doesn't matter . (And they are connected to the internet). 

Using their wifi connection, I can also play anything from my laptop, throgh the Xbox and  on to the  big TV... as part of the same network.

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted

Thank you. Now I see I have new things to try.

• Like 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted

1 more thing. I’m looking for recommendations for noise cancelling headphones. A year ago, Bose was the name to own at about $300. If anyone has any thoughts to share on this, or alternatives, I would like to hear them. Thank you

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Rayj said:

1 more thing. I’m looking for recommendations for noise cancelling headphones. A year ago, Bose was the name to own at about $300. If anyone has any thoughts to share on this, or alternatives, I would like to hear them. Thank you

I have a set of Bose noice cancelling headphones. They work extremely well. If you haven't used any before they only really cut down any repetitive background noise. For example the constant noise of an aircraft interior. They are not much good at cancelling out sudden or non repetitive noise as they need to sample the noise and generate an opposite waveform, thereby cancelling it out. I find them brilliant for long flights. 

Ken

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks. I had other people’s music in mind. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a set of SONY noise cancelling head phones, I agree with Huggybearman in that they're good for cancelling that droning plane noise but don't really do anything for other non constant noise.

Just a suggestion, try them on in a shop, if you're going to wear them for 8 hours plus it's really important that they're comfortable.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Our family has Netflix but the internet is reasonably fast in their subdivision. At least until someone steals the cable running to to the subdivision, again.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, graham59 said:

I bought a Panasonic DVD player that will play DVDs from all countries/systems. Works fine here.

Just pointing out for information - there is a simple way to remove region coding from DVD players that can be found online.  It requires no messing with the guts, just entering a series of buttons on the remote.  I've decoded several in the past with no problems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

At the house we have a horrid connection. I pay for 5 mbps, but am lucky to get 2.  But Netflix and YouTube stream fine.  For movies it might be easier to just bring a laptop with some ripped DVD images.  

I have a Roku but most channels are geo-locked and my Globe modem does not allow VPN.  Using my laptop I can Chromecast to the TV, though.  

• Like 3