Medical, Vision And Dental Tourism

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I had a Sigmoidoscopy done during our 10 days visit to Manila.  The doctor charged P1,100 for the initial consultation and to review my medical history.  The doctor's fee for the procedure was P10,000.  St. Luke's Hospital cost was P4,750.00 including a 16% courtesy discount.  Results were negative.  For a colonoscopy, the charges would have been higher because sedation is a requirement. 

For dental cleaning and check-up, we went to Metro Dental located on the 4th floor of Greenbelt 5.  The charge was P2,800 each.  In the USA, cleaning would be by an oral hygienist at a minimum cost of $99.00  Check-up would be a separate charge done by a dentist.  No cavities.  No high pressure selling of cosmetic dental work.  Last time in Honolulu, the dentist quoted us $8,000 to $14,000.

I ordered a 2nd pair of reading glasses from an optical shop in Glorietta 3.  It was P2,700 compared to the 1st pair from a Walmart Vision Center, which was $220.  My previous experience in the Philippines, the Optometrist's fee was included when purchasing glasses.  It is a separate charge of $64.00 at Walmart.  

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I only once had glasses made whilst in the Philippines, yes very reasonably priced. Had to pay the normal £300 in the UK 3 weeks later because the the Philippine glasses were all wrong. Comparing Philippines cost to US costs will always look favourable but we don't all live in the US with their free market ripoff prices.