Why So Much Traffic?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, intrepid said:

Two years ago when we first settled here our short drive to our daughters school would take between 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.  We now have to give ourselves at least one hour due to traffic.  Today  I left the house at 1:30 this afternoon to pick up our daughter from school.  This is Friday and she gets out at 2:30.  Arrived at the school 2:45!  Drove straight home without stopping.  Got to the our house just about 5PM.   Its more fun in the Philippines. :6:

When I got here in 2002 my gf and I rode bicycles in the morning out to the rice field areas. The roads were still mostly gravel and muddy after some rain. Now the rice fields are gone and the roads are concrete...and not well maintained. Progress sucks!

• Sad 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Probably partly due to the time of year. Everyone has just got their 13th month pay, splashing the cash on grab lol.

Other than that the ease of getting finance on cars is probably a big factor.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, intrepid said:

Two years ago when we first settled here our short drive to our daughters school would take between 15-20 minutes

How long would it take for them to walk to school like so many of us did when we were kids?  

• Hmm thinking 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

How long would it take for them to walk to school like so many of us did when we were kids?  

Its just under 12 k one way.  A little far for walking.  Although she would like to walk to school and has expressed this many times it is just a little too far for walking.  Plus she is mixed Phil-Am and does not look like a local.  She is soon to be 13 and looks like a local young adult at 170cm tall.  Don't know about others, but there is no way my wife would ever allow her to be walking the roads alone around here.

• Love it 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Its just under 12 k one way.  A little far for walking.  Although she would like to walk to school and has expressed this many times it is just a little too far for walking.  Plus she is mixed Phil-Am and does not look like a local.  She is soon to be 13 and looks like a local young adult at 170cm tall.  Don't know about others, but there is no way my wife would ever allow her to be walking the roads alone around here.

Besides the fact no sidewalks to safety travel there 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What, and suffer the shame of the whole school thinking they cannot afford a luxury vehicle?

I'm sorry to be so cynical about this but I see my neighbours  washing their extremely expensive cars which cost almost as much as their houses yet they are unable to wash their windows or tidy their gardens etc.  it's all about the face/pride/showing off in many cases here. 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, intrepid said:

My Phil-Am son is 13 and very handsome, (mothers looks)..A van service picks him up and brings him back from school. They pick him up about 6:15 am. He comes back home around 5:30 pm.

He's becoming more independent now and wants us to let him take a tricycle and baby bus to school and back. Best part about his school..Zero Homework.

The school is only about 2 kilometers away from home so we're giving it some thought.  

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

What, and suffer the shame of the whole school thinking they cannot afford a luxury vehicle?

I'm sorry to be so cynical about this but I see my neighbours  washing their extremely expensive cars which cost almost as much as their houses yet they are unable to wash their windows or tidy their gardens etc.  it's all about the face/pride/showing off in many cases here. 

I bought a new Chevy Sail about 2 years ago and my neighbors were dumbfounded. How could a "rich" kano buy such an inexpensive car?

They all think I'm rich and I can't convince them otherwise.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

They all think I'm rich and I can't convince them otherwise.

I have the same problem but after almost 4 years they're beginning to suspect I'm actually as poor as I seem to be! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1