Students' School Xmas Party Time Again

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

My wife tells me that they nationally unified the date of school Xmas parties this year. (This is my sole source of this info... not confirmed by any secondary sources by me, e.g. news articles. She said she heard it on the radio and from other mothers, students etc.)

She says the nationally set date is Dec. 15th for all.

Locally, the expected 'contribution' to attend is P 500 @.  Years ago it was usually P 200,  but times and inflation must have taken their toll.  Since my wife is the 'guidance parent' for 4 of the extended kin, we usually bear the misc. schooling costs ourselves. Not a real problem and happy to help.  

I was surprised, and pleasantly pleased to a degree, when our 7th grader asked my wife if it was OK for him, unlike his brother and two sisters, NOT to attend. He told her it would be much better if she could spend the money on a pair of new rubber shoes (sneakers/athletic shoes) for him instead. Now maybe it has something to do with him being the star player of his school basket ball team,  but I think not, since we always pay for the boys' uniforms and sports needs. I know he is aware of the value of things and not selfish because the other day when he went with us to Chow King for breakfast (my wife treats him once a month to a resto meal, before sending him home to the other barangay with rice, veggies and fish for the other 3 kids), the wife ordered him a maximum breakfast plate. He seemed to nibble at it while we finished our own. About to leave, I looked at his still full plate, and was at first a bit miffed, hoping he didn't intend to just leave it. I asked my wife, 'What gives?".  I would have thought that a skinny, hungry pre-teen would have wolfed it all down.  She then informed me that he was full...... and he wanted to take the rest home in a take-away bag for his little sister.

I'm now pretty sure that little Joseph isn't growing up spoiled in the least.

I think your wife might have got some wrong info. I read in the Star that the  Xmas break for public schools starts on Dec. 15. Nothing about parties.

BTW my son, Daniel is spoiled to the max. And it's totally my fault. He's 13.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I think your wife might have got some wrong info. I read in the Star that the  Xmas break for public schools starts on Dec. 15. Nothing about parties.

Although in 2014 it was said, 

Public schools told to keep Christmas parties simple, charge no fees

MANILA, Philippines – Education Secretary Armin Luistro reminded all public school heads about the ban on the collection of fees for Christmas parties and other events, and urged them to keep their yule celebrations simple.

In a press statement, Luistro said that while parent-teachers associations (PTAs) may be authorized to collect financial contributions for celebrations, the money must be given voluntarily.

“The payment of such contributions shall not be made a requirement,” he said.

He pointed out that non-payment of fees for Christmas parties and other events must not be used to discriminate against students in the public elementary and high schools.

“Non-payment of voluntary school contributions shall not be made as a basis for non-admission, non-promotion, or non-issuance of clearance to a student—including the withholding of school cards,” Luistro said.

He emphasized that the collection of any fee for school activities, if made mandatory, is “strictly prohibited.”

However, PTAs may collect fees for celebrations if it is made clear that the monetary contribution is voluntary and if its members agree to the amount in a general assembly.

Nevertheless, Luistro said, PTAs should ask only for small amounts of contributions for the Christmas parties and other celebrations “in consideration of the many expenses that parents incur in sending their children to school.”

“We should keep our Christmas parties and celebrations simple but meaningful,” he said.

Under a 2012 department order, unauthorized solicitations and collections made by PTAs could make them lose their DepEd recognition and their officials may be criminally charged.

Also, public school officials and teachers could face administrative charges for improper or unauthorized solicitations of contributions. A first offense would merit a reprimand, suspension for a second offense while a third offense would mean

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/657201/public-schools-told-to-keep-christmas-parties-simple-charge-no-fees#ixzz5Yzht4xfS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

BTW my son, Daniel is spoiled to the max. And it's totally my fault. He's 13.

Our lad has his Xmas party on Friday 14th December and then the holidays start from the next day, Saturday 15th December.  He attends a private school in Dumaguete.

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

My 2 nieces   both 7th graders have there Christmas party on the 14th the teacher has asked for 50 peso for each student for the gift exchange and denote food for the party which will be a pot luck the girls will take mac fruit salad and a small cake which they will make the night before which seems fair and not over priced 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My son is in private school and we received  a tick box form with the usual multitude of options which make me lose the will to live!  I've go to admit that they love to make simple things as complicated a possible here.