Electrical dangers in the Philippines

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

From memory in Australia most earths are just connected to water pipes. Things may have changed but I really dont think there is any special rods in a house construction.  There was a girl recently electrocuted and that came from turning off a dripping tap. She is now brain damaged and will need care all of her life so only half saved her, poor kid.

If it's similar to the UK, you run an earth wire to the water income and another to the gas meter ,then you run earth wires between all pipes and metallic surfaces such as sinks ,that's called equipotential bonding 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

If it's similar to the UK, you run an earth wire to the water income and another to the gas meter ,then you run earth wires between all pipes and metallic surfaces such as sinks ,that's called equipotential bonding 

Yes similar but in Aussie land its run between the BBQ Meat-on-the-bbq.jpg

then to the out house dunny-aussies.jpg

After that,  no one gives a shit :thumbsup:

:28:

• Haha 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Split topic :thumbsup:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes similar but in Aussie land its run between the BBQ Meat-on-the-bbq.jpg

then to the out house dunny-aussies.jpg

After that,  no one gives a shit :thumbsup:

:28:

Except the sheep!

download.jpg

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Except the sheep!

You're getting us aussies confused with the Kiwis :)

sheep.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

You're getting us aussies confused with the Kiwis :)

sheep.jpg

Haha..nice.:cheers:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Same here in the UK with separate breakers for each circuit 

As for earth rods,they are as rare as rocking horse poo in the UK, all I can remember about them is that you use a minimum of three  measure the potential between each rod and use the lowest ,they are very rare in the UK as we tend to use the armour sheathing or run an independent earth ,so my intention is to read the book and revise on earth rods :thumbsup:

My builder had told me even before I was going to demand a ground rod that he was going to drive a 2.5 meter rod below my meter.  He would connect the earth ground to the main panel box with 2 gauge wire.  Not sure where he bought the ground rod but they are available.

IMG_0447.JPG

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, intrepid said:

My builder had told me even before I was going to demand a ground rod that he was going to drive a 2.5 meter rod below my meter. 

Shake it. He might have meant 2.5 centimeters  :56fdd33e91832_santalaugh:

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Ground rods are available but very hard to find, most just knock a lenght of rebar into the ground. Anyway one of those two pins is a ground, you have a 50% chance of guessing which one though and it will change randomly. Philippines power is delivered as hot and ground. The ground will be picked up at a nearby pole, look for the uninsulated cable stappled to the pole going into the ground. Anyway back to earth leakage trips, they don't need an earth connection, they sense the current in each wire and if there is a difference caused by you stealing some of the current they trip and disconnect he supply.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I remember back in the day while I was taking a shower I noticed the metal cap on top of the water heater wasn’t screwed on straight, so I decided to give it a little twist, big mistake, the wires and electrical poles are completely bare underneath there, I don't know which hurt worse, the throbbing I took or my butt from hitting the shower floor.  I was almost Darwined from the planet that day but my junk was still in order so I carried on and had a story to tell my friends.

• Like 5