Electrical dangers in the Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I remember back in the day while I was taking a shower I noticed the metal cap on top of the water heater wasn’t screwed on straight, so I decided to give it a little twist, big mistake, the wires and electrical poles are completely bare underneath there, I don't know which hurt worse, the throbbing I took or my butt from hitting the shower floor.  I was almost Darwined from the planet that day but my junk was still in order so I carried on and had a story to tell my friends.

Really. Personally I dont know what your talking about as all, water heaters I have seen dont have that or work like that. 

• Sad 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Really. Personally I dont know what your talking about as all, water heaters I have seen dont have that or work like that. 

The heater coils are inline withe the shower head in a metal chamber, I think they were called Bagwan heaters, the controls are inside the shower as well, you turn a knob for low, medium or high. not really safe IMO.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Heeb said:

The heater coils are inline withe the shower head in a metal chamber, I think they were called Bagwan heaters, the controls are inside the shower as well, you turn a knob for low, medium or high. not really safe IMO.

I've only seen them in the Philippines, here in the states inline water heaters are in the utility room mounted to a wall.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 12/7/2018 at 5:20 PM, bastonjock said:

I'll run a minimum of a 16 mm earth wire to three earth rods,

It probably depends on the country, the dampness in the soil and a huge number of other things but in rural Canada I am used to having only one ground rod so 3 earth rods sounded like overkill, until I read this article that says we are doing it wrong, (and should have a second earth rod), when we do our wiring in rural Canada like this pic.

Ground Rod.jpg

https://www.ecmweb.com/galleries/10-biggest-grounding-mistakes-avoid/gallery?slide=1

However, I would be happy if my house in the Philippines was grounded to a rod like that.  The soil is damp enough that I believe a second or third earth rod is overkill but I couldn't blame you for putting in more rather than not enough.

About grounding to water pipes, that used to be done in small-town Canada years ago but as JGF said, neighbors would get shocked touching their water pipes at times so it was outlawed.  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

but as JGF said, neighbors would get shocked touching their water pipes at times so it was outlawed.  

I dont think its outlawed in Australia. The problem with the case of the girl was there was something wrong with the wiring set up which made the pipes live where they should normally just trip the circuit breaker. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

In the UK many years ago earthing to the water pipe was common but the very old properties often had a lead pipe where it entered the property. The problem was if you had a major fault you could melt the lead. Now days all piping is in plastic so although the internal pipework is bonded the water main no longer supplies the ground connection.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It probably depends on the country, the dampness in the soil and a huge number of other things but in rural Canada I am used to having only one ground rod so 3 earth rods sounded like overkill, until I read this article that says we are doing it wrong, (and should have a second earth rod), when we do our wiring in rural Canada like this pic.

Ground Rod.jpg

https://www.ecmweb.com/galleries/10-biggest-grounding-mistakes-avoid/gallery?slide=1

However, I would be happy if my house in the Philippines was grounded to a rod like that.  The soil is damp enough that I believe a second or third earth rod is overkill but I couldn't blame you for putting in more rather than not enough.

About grounding to water pipes, that used to be done in small-town Canada years ago but as JGF said, neighbors would get shocked touching their water pipes at times so it was outlawed.  

I just had a quick check of the rules in the uk concerning earth rods , my earlier statement about having 4 stands as correct , not bad considering I last read that section about 40 years ago lol

The soil type greatly effects the earth rods , they should be placed in a ring around the house , bog and swampy ground is the best , stone ground is not so good , so I am wondering as to how effective volcanic soil is , the rough plan is still to put in a 4 rod ring ,and if necessary drop an earth down to the creek that runs a long side my property ,I'll use a meter called an earth loop impedance tester to check that the impedance is below one ohm ,if not I'll work something out 

The whole idea is to provide electricity with the path of least resistance so that it does not go through you and it takes the route of the earth loop and then the breaker should trip within 300 milli seconds 

I'll be bringing over a distribution board ,earth rods and rcbos, if my grand children are going to visit I will make sure that it's safe 

• Like 3