Update On Tipping

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

During our brief visit to Metro Manila, I noticed that all the restaurants we frequented automatically added a 10% service charge.  The only additional tip I left on the table were the coins that came with the change.  The bills were taken, the coins left behind, except on one occasion when there was more than P40 in coin change.  I pocketed all of it.

The VAT was included in the price of dishes on the menu.  The exception were luxury class hotels like Shangri-La.  The VAT and service charge were added items plus the city tax.  So it was the price of the food plus nearly 23%.  I left no additional tip, but our lunch guest said she does because her company frequently entertains clients at this particular restaurant.  The additional tip was customary to assure excellent service.  

Recently, several articles have appeared in digital media claiming that the standard minimum tip should be 20%.  Furthermore, the calculation should be on top of sales tax.  For really good service, it should be increased to 30% to 40%.  However, I suspect these articles are paid for by trade associations who sponsor bloggers and digital reporters to promote their agenda.  Cheaper than for restaurants to pay the minimum wage.  Current laws permit food and drink establishments to calculate tips as part of employee salaries.  

When using the hotel exercise room, my wife would tip ahead of time.  "Do you have a machine available?" she would ask while handing the attendant P50.  They would wipe down the equipment, then give her extra towels and bottled water. 

Finally, our hotel package included daily buffet breakfast during our 10 days stay.  The regular staff were polite but nothing special.  The enthusiasm and warmth came from a young girl serving everyone coffee and tea.  In turned out she is studying hospitality industry and the school had a tie-up with the hotel.  The current assignment was three months training.  No pay.  Free labor.  Because of her limited experience, she was to pour coffee or tea, nothing else.  So much for training. No pay.  Free labor.  I left her a substantial tip in a sealed envelope on our last day.  Big smile.  Thank you.  Sometime during our breakfast, she must have gone somewhere to open the envelope.  She was nearly crying while thanking us again.  Probably the first time she has received a tip.  It felt good knowing her "Thank You" came from the heart.

Jeez, I'm half Yorkshire and half Scottish, but beside you I look generous!

Incidentally the definition of a Yorkshireman is a Scot's man with the generosity squeezed out of him. 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

:lipssealed_80_anim_gif:

:hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:56da632e94212_1(60): For me now and always has been, TRIPPING is discretionary :smile:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

TRIPPING is discretionary :smile:

Do you mean like Major Tom tripping or when the dog lays on the path at night and you go arse up?  :89: :smile:

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:56da632e94212_1(60): For me now and always has been, TRIPPING is discretionary :smile:

One article on tipping mentioned that should you talk to the restaurant manager if the service was bad.  But you should leave the full tip expected by the server.  I don't understand the logic.  

My advocacy is the restaurant menu should state the final price.  That includes the cost of the food item, service charge (tip) and taxes.  The final price per dish should be posted outside the restaurant.  You can enter the premises or move on to look at prices by other establishments.  

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Jeez, I'm half Yorkshire and half Scottish, but beside you I look generous!

Incidentally the definition of a Yorkshireman is a Scot's man with the generosity squeezed out of him. 

A Dutchman got us beat.  He told me, "Life is a zero sum game when it comes to money.  If you tip, the other side wins.  If you don't tip, you win."  I stopped meeting with him because, in addition to not tipping, the guy had a bad habit of disappearing to the toilet whenever the bill was presented.

I may sound like a tightwad.  On the other hand, while in a Makati restaurant watching a foreigner at a nearby table leave an over generous tip made me react with one word, "Idiot."  Obviously he was a visitor.  Eating at this restaurant was a one time event.  Perhaps his generosity would have a reciprocal benefit if he ate at the same restaurant once or twice a week.  My wife's theory is maybe he did not realize that the 10% service charge meant that the tip was automatically added to his bill.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

On my first trip to the Philippine 15 years ago my (now) wife and I went to Boracay.  Part of the stay was spent at an older resort that could have used some remodel work but it was quiet and the staff were nice.  We went to an early dinner at the inhouse resto and discovered we were the only guests.  There were three servers and, not surprisingly, the service was incredibly prompt and friendly.  My wife spoke with two of the young people and length in Basayan.  She told me that were taking courses in "Hotel Management" and they were not being paid for their work.  She then asked if it would be okay to give them a 100 peso tip to share.  We did so and you could see their eyes just light up.

Next night we again ate in the resto.  I had ordered a scotch/rocks the night before and as we were seated the waiter asked if I would like a scotch/rocks?  I said yes and a minute later he appeared with a large water glass completely filled with scotch and a second smaller glass with ice.  It was not a "double" or even a "double double", it was like nothing I have seen before or since. :hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Do you mean like Major Tom tripping or when the dog lays on the path at night and you go arse up?  :89: :smile:

:whistling: If I got everything right people would think it was not me posting :hystery:

• Haha 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If the system is tipping - I tip.  But if they add in a service fee... they set the tip and I do not leave more.  I have seen some restaurant around here doing it and I think they are screwing it up for the workers. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I figured out this tipping thing.  Stay home and get the little woman to feed me.  She never asks for a tip.

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic