Update On Tipping

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I figured out this tipping thing.  Stay home and get the little woman to feed me.  She never asks for a tip.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:89: food for thought there Young man :hystery:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

food for thought there Young man :hystery:

Well she did not get a tip but she did get something.

Some friends are moving to Manila and decided to sell everything on the quick and buy new when they get there.  So Lynne got a reasonably new stove to cook by brekkie on.  Now she is happier cooking my breakfast and it is still better than a tip because if the shite ever hits the fan, it's my stove. :thumbsup:

There's a tip for ya, guys!

• Haha 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, JJReyes said:

A Dutchman got us beat.  He told me, "Life is a zero sum game when it comes to money.  If you tip, the other side wins.  If you don't tip, you win."  I stopped meeting with him because, in addition to not tipping, the guy had a bad habit of disappearing to the toilet whenever the bill was presented.

I may sound like a tightwad.  On the other hand, while in a Makati restaurant watching a foreigner at a nearby table leave an over generous tip made me react with one word, "Idiot."  Obviously he was a visitor.  Eating at this restaurant was a one time event.  Perhaps his generosity would have a reciprocal benefit if he ate at the same restaurant once or twice a week.  My wife's theory is maybe he did not realize that the 10% service charge meant that the tip was automatically added to his bill.

Yes you do sound like a tightwad and would imagine you squeak when walk LOL.

In all seriousness I tip when deserved and don't when its not deserved as the servers need the tips as they are at best on minimum wage. With transportation and other costs there is not much left for them?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

In all seriousness I tip when deserved and don't when its not deserved as the servers need the tips as they are at best on minimum wage. With transportation and other costs there is not much left for them?

Are you talking USA or Philippines?  Filipinos are or should be paid the going rate which is not tip based. 

• Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

When you see a cute waitress, give her a tip, "Don't go out with sailors"!

• Haha 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you talking USA or Philippines?  Filipinos are or should be paid the going rate which is not tip based. 

Why would I be talking about South Canada?

No Philippines, they get something like P460 per day, although not all bars/restaurants pay this and some charge them for uniforms etc. Whats left after they have traveled to work and fed themselves?

Had a couple of beers yesterday and left P100 in tips, very happy to do so. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

No Philippines, they get something like P460 per day, although not all bars/restaurants pay this and some charge them for uniforms etc. Whats left after they have traveled to work and fed themselves?

Yes and a good salary too for this country. 

Had a couple of beers yesterday and left P100 in tips, very happy to do so.

So the cost of your beer was about double the price of the beer. Good for you. Bet you would complain if one day you are paying P65 for a beer and it doubled overnight. 

I hate these tipping topics, they go in hand with politics, gun ownership and religion. 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

Don't smoke in bed. Good tip.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, earthdome said:

Of course, at the time of my life when I would give a cute waitress this tip, I was a sailor.

• Haha 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes and a good salary too for this country. 

So the cost of your beer was about double the price of the beer. Good for you. Bet you would complain if one day you are paying P65 for a beer and it doubled overnight. 

I hate these tipping topics, they go in hand with politics, gun ownership and religion. 

Go and have a lie down your overvthinking things. 

If you think less than $9 a day is a good salary then I really don’t know what to say.......

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic