Lightning Rod, protection from lightning strikes?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Has anyone a lightning rod connected to their home or building? Is it worthwhile having one installed?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Has anyone a lightning rod connected to their home or building? Is it worthwhile having one installed?

Yes Dan, I have one from the main Roof Section than goes down and out to the Base of the Electric supply pole out on the Road (It is a metal Pole) and connects to the Supply Companies own Lightning Rod, We also have one in the roof for the Internet and satellite system, We had them done whilst building so I have no idea of costs but we have had a few Hits up here, So I am glad we had it all done :smile:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

The concept of the lightning protection system is based on Benjamin Franklin's experiments

The concept is for the rod to divert as much of the lightning down to earth and give it a path that is safer than through your house,  lightning can do tremendous damage it can even jump across rooms and if it find water , it boils the water turns it into steam and boom , the reason that trees explode is that the lightening boils the moisture in the tree

Anyhow what is needed is a conductor , copper preferred and this should be the highest point of your structure , a strap again copper preferred but I don't think it would last long in the Phil's,  so aluminium is the next best choice , an aluminium bar of say 10 x 30 mm would be sufficient ,and insulated from the house by way of non conductive/ high reaistance material .I.e wood , this should run down to the ground and attached to earthing rods buried about 1 to two meters in the ground 

There is no cast iron guarantee against lightening damage if you ger hit by a 150000 amp strike , the lightening rod may well melt

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The concept of the lightning protection system is based on Benjamin Franklin's experiments

The concept is for the rod to divert as much of the lightning down to earth and give it a path that is safer than through your house,  lightning can do tremendous damage it can even jump across rooms and if it find water , it boils the water turns it into steam and boom , the reason that trees explode is that the lightening boils the moisture in the tree

Anyhow what is needed is a conductor , copper preferred and this should be the highest point of your structure , a strap again copper preferred but I don't think it would last long in the Phil's,  so aluminium is the next best choice , an aluminium bar of say 10 x 30 mm would be sufficient ,and insulated from the house by way of non conductive/ high reaistance material .I.e wood , this should run down to the ground and attached to earthing rods buried about 1 to two meters in the ground 

There is no cast iron guarantee against lightening damage if you ger hit by a 150000 amp strike , the lightening rod may well melt

would aluminium not melt?

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, jimeve said:

would aluminium not melt?

Maybe but copper can melt too.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Maybe but copper can melt too.

I should think the thickness would make a difference. Link to take the guess work out. http://www.esgroundingsolutions.com/blog/664/what-are-calculations-regarding-lowering-earth-resistance-using-copper-rods-tapes-at-telecom-tower

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont get why anyone would put up a target in the first place. As we know lightning is looking for the shortest route to the ground so if there are other higher objects in the area why not let them have it. 

roddavis
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont get why anyone would put up a target in the first place. As we know lightning is looking for the shortest route to the ground so if there are other higher objects in the area why not let them have it. 

Case in point, three years ago had a large thunder storm with lightning. I was standing under the front porch watching when a lightning bolt struck the cell tower 150 feet away in front of me! Tower survived but it never had its red light on at night anymore since then. When I walked into the house after the lightning strike, the 2 tv's didn't work anymore! The cable was connected to which came from the cell tower! So as long as there are any structures or tree's taller than your house, I don't think you need a lightning rod! :rain_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, roddavis said:

So as long as there are any structures or tree's taller than your house, I don't think you need a lightning rod! 

Not necessarily Rod, Lightning can be Selective it is  path;

lightning.jpg

http://stormhighway.com/what_happens_when_lightning_strikes_a_house.php

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, roddavis said:

So as long as there are any structures or tree's taller than your house, I don't think you need a lightning rod!

Lightning doesn't always strike the highest object, it's more about the electron path and the resistance to ground (as my limited understanding has it).  This strike hit a car despite the light pole nearby being higher, happened this week in Bendigo only a few kilometres from my house, the storm was LOUD (I'm in oz right now and will be until after christmas).

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/12/10/15/13/moment-lightning-hits-parked-car-in-bendigo-victoria?fbclid=IwAR1KxCD2fGhbJ3VF-JN_XYT9w-H4T-1ydj-l1QNtXI85cuNGFmqb2QvYe7k

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1