Lightning Rod, protection from lightning strikes?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Lightning doesn't always strike the highest object,

:thumbsup: Endorses my earlier Post Geoff :smile:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, roddavis said:

Case in point, three years ago had a large thunder storm with lightning. I was standing under the front porch watching when a lightning bolt struck the cell tower 150 feet away in front of me! Tower survived but it never had its red light on at night anymore since then. When I walked into the house after the lightning strike, the 2 tv's didn't work anymore! The cable was connected to which came from the cell tower! So as long as there are any structures or tree's taller than your house, I don't think you need a lightning rod! :rain_80_anim_gif:

I feel your pain. 6 or 8 years ago a lightning strike blew out both of my tv's. We had satellite tv so it had to come through the electric wall socket (I think) Should have listened to my gf when she said to unplug during electrical storm. Now I do even though I have circuit breakers installed. The LED tv was fixable but the old analog was beyond repair. :angry_80_anim_gif:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

It's best practice to unplug everything in an electrical storm, I would even disconnect an earthling system ,the power from the lightning strike can run under ground and pick up cabling into the building , all so referred to as an earth spike 

There is no guaranteed method of 100 percent defence against lightning ,its risk management  ,you can reduce the risk by running a conductor on  the out side of your house ,the idea is to stop the lightning going through your house

All metal can melt ,the two most popular metals for conductor are copper and aluminum,copper has a much lower resistance than aluminium and is not so prone to other problems that you get with aluminum 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

I would even disconnect an earthling system

:hystery: Sorry mate but your turn for the barrel.jpg My mate said so   

ET and the Lightning.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Tom asked why attract a strike. My understanding it’s in order to provide a safe direct path to earth ground.

And my question is how is that done?

We know its as simple as an iron rod attached above a structure well insulated from the structure with a large gage conductor connecting the rod to ground. Simple but what exactly are the guidelines for this?

My folks live atop a tall hill now and we were thinking a lightning rod would be a great preventative tool. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

And my question is how is that done?

Dan, have a read of this site and you may find your answers there;

http://stormhighway.com/what_happens_when_lightning_strikes_a_house.php

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I learned a lot from that. Thank you Jack. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 12/12/2018 at 8:11 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Dan, have a read of this site

So I had a read too.  And I found out they still use lightning rods but they are called "lightning protection systems" now.  This may be necessary because global warming is now "global climate change".  But here is what I got from it:

Lightning protection systems are the modern development of the innovation pioneered by Benjamin Franklin: the lightning rod. Today, lightning protection systems are in use on thousands of buildings, homes, factories, towers, and even the Space Shuttle's launch pad. This article will examine why lightning protection is necessary and what the systems can and cannot do.