Moving to Cebu City

TerryF
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I will be moving to Cebu next July. Any advice would be appreciated. I have lived as an expat here in El Salvador for two years. So its time for a new challenge and adventure.

Thanks for reading and responding.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, TerryF said:

Hi,

I will be moving to Cebu next July. Any advice would be appreciated. I have lived as an expat here in El Salvador for two years. So its time for a new challenge and adventure.

Thanks for reading and responding.

Welcome Terry

Lots of advice can be given but we have no idea of your situation or what you are looking for. Perhaps tell us, are you single? Rough budget? What you want to do while here?  The list goes on but you get the point.

TerryF
Posted
Posted

Its hard to say at this point. Ive been doing internatinal teaching here in Central America for two years and if possible I would like to continue in the right situation. I already have an investment I am working on (Small eatery with a Beer/Karaoke Bar). 

Whats it like for expats, medical care, housing, etc... I do have a local contact but of course I wanna hear from fellow expats. If I can make it here in El Salvador, I figure I can make it anywhere. Third world living doesnt scare me. Just wanna know what I am getting into.

Thanks,

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, TerryF said:

Its hard to say at this point. Ive been doing internatinal teaching here in Central America for two years and if possible I would like to continue in the right situation. I already have an investment I am working on (Small eatery with a Beer/Karaoke Bar). 

Whats it like for expats, medical care, housing, etc... I do have a local contact but of course I wanna hear from fellow expats. If I can make it here in El Salvador, I figure I can make it anywhere. Third world living doesnt scare me. Just wanna know what I am getting into.

Thanks,

Best to do some reading while you wait for answers as these questions are not new. :thumbsup:

TerryF
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have been reading and will continue to do so.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome Terry. My guess if you were able to do El Salvador Philippines would be easy.

Thelanjaron
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well in general it is a lovely place. There are a lot of properties for sale in Philippines xxxxx/ that you can rent for a very good price just because owners can't sale it for a long time and will be happy to get some money meanwhile. It is a good option for you.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Links not allowed for new members

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Hi Terry........I lived in Costa Rica prior to the RP and have been here a year and a half, give or take a few days.  Although CR is not El Salvador, it is Central America and similar in customs, etc.  My experience has been very positive, once I digested the customs and the predominate trait and fact the people in the RP are of a passive nature and do not like or accept confrontation in any fashion.  They are submissive to authority figures and one of the worse things you can do in public is embarrass or humiliate another person.   This may be hard to believe, but traffic here is worse and riding through the middle of town in a motor cab during rush hour is more exciting that any wild roller coaster you have ever been on or heard of.  All that being said......once I made my adjustment, I really like it here.  The diet is slightly different, and chickens and pigs have very short lives here.  Safety and security is very fluid and depends greatly on what part of the country you live in.  I live in on the wild and dangerous Mindanao Island, in the North West portion, and I have never had a problem or felt threatened.  That being said,  I never let my guard down and I have eyes in the back of my head.  When I find a person staring at me, I stare back and that seems to make them disappear.  I have good friends. a good life, and my Filipino wife is the best.  Cost of living is much much better than CR and I am content with the products and food that is available.  All in All, I am very happy with my move here.  Good Luck to you my friend and let me know if you have any specific questions.

John 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Did you ever move to Cebu City and how do you like it?