Very sick wife, no it was a scam

bigmac
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

Mac....... My sincere compassion to you, your wife,  and what you are going through.  I've been following this since you posted it and I must say, you have some really unique issues you are dealing with.......  If I may, let me share my thoughts with you.......first and foremost, you say the biggest issue for you is the cost of the injections.  The simple solution to this is switch to B-12 pills or gel caps.  I checked with a trusted Dr (my daughter) and she assured me that they are a suitable alternate to the injections.....and much much cheaper.  Also she told me that for some people the pills are more appropriate because the pills release over a period of time and people who absorb the B-12 slower than others can pass the injectables unused or unabsorbed B-12 out.  She also told me that hospitals and clinics greatly inflate the cost of the injection for profitability and to pay the bills so to speak.......... But the one thing that really surprised her was how extremely rare this condition is, and that it mainly affects people older than 60 years and those with African heritage.  The fact that your wife has been diagnosed with this, considering her age and other factors, makes this even more rare.  Her advice and my advice is to try to get a second opinion............ and you can do this with medical records and test results.  She doesn't actually have to travel to another Dr or hospital.  She suggested you ask the secondary medical opinion......."does my wife have Pernicious Anemia, or does she have a vitamin B-12 deficiency"?  Pernicious Anemia is extremely rare in your wife's genetic class, but a B-12 deficiency is extremely common in her genetic class (especially in the Philippines due to the diet most are on here). Remember, the primary source of B-12 is meat, eggs, and milk products.......these things can be scarce in the Philippine diet at times..........  These are just my thoughts Mac.......and what I have collected from checking around.  Good luck to you my friend and God Bless your wife, you and your family.  I'm in Dipolog, but still quite a ways away.........but I'm on your side..

JW

Peaceful John thanks for your post. She has tried the pills and they do not seem to work for her and for that matter, it doesn't seem that the injections are working very well either. She has been getting them for months now! The expense IS the root of the problem as I cannot even afford to fly there due to depletion of my savings and, I want to go so badly. I'd like to be there to assist in whatever ways I could. As far as meats, eggs, etc. I also buy (she has a CC for groceries) those items for her. I wish your daughter could visit her and give her a check up! Does your daughter know any Dr's on Camiguin Island? Thanks for your post and compassion.

Here is what she is getting daily: 20 ml per day 10 ml in morning and 10 ml in afternoon

I don't understand what 3x 3ml ampules or micrograms means.....

bigmac
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Cannot help you with the cost but a friend who had that found excellent relief using:

He told me the cost was astronomical in the US but quite reasonable in Philippines.  It will require a few weeks treatment and she should be good for a few years then do the same again.  He lasted for decades using this treatment but it got him eventually.

Better she sees a doctor to ask if she is a good candidate for this treatment.

Hi Dave, thanks for your post. She has taken the first two weeks apart treatments of RITUXAN. They tell her the cancer HAS NOT metastasized into other parts of the body. Next treatment is 6 months out from the initial treatment if no improvement. However,right now the more  problematic is more the B12 deficiency and what they are charging for the injections there. Philhealth will not pay for those! Thanks again!

bigmac
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

You need to get over here quick. And bring a friend who is not smitten. It's the only way you will know for sure.

A few months back my gf's sister was taken to a hospital for a urinary tract infection by her mother. They wanted to keep her for 4 days for treatment at P8,000 per night. When my gf found out about it she went there and raised holy hell and got her out. Took her to a simple clinic and her infection was gone.

I really hope you sort this out.

Arizona, thanks for your post. 

I am not sure what you by: "bring a friend who is not smitten. It's the only way you will know for sure." Can you elaborate, please? Thanks!

bigmac
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

Good luck to you, wish you well. :tiphat:

Thanks again!

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Mac, my daughter is a Dr in Colorado and has visited me here only once.  She has no connections here but recommends caution when dealing with Dr's here.  Some are great.....but some are not.........the Philippines has no system to validate a Dr and their ongoing practice.  If you have questions, or need something validated, I'm sure she will find the time to help any way she can........... By the way........2 questions....what symptoms has she been experiencing......and second...... how long has this been going on?  Stay focused Mac....... you can beat this.  God Bless

JW

• Like 2

bigmac
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Peaceful John said:

Mac, my daughter is a Dr in Colorado and has visited me here only once.  She has no connections here but recommends caution when dealing with Dr's here.  Some are great.....but some are not.........the Philippines has no system to validate a Dr and their ongoing practice.  If you have questions, or need something validated, I'm sure she will find the time to help any way she can........... By the way........2 questions....what symptoms has she been experiencing......and second...... how long has this been going on?  Stay focused Mac....... you can beat this.  God Bless

JW

Her symptoms: blurry vision, tired always, some vomiting, and in general weak. Probably been several months since she started the B12 injections. I thought that after a few weeks at most, her B12 absorption would turn around. There are times when it is so-so or slightly improving but it will not maintain. Her iron is another thing. She is a heavy bleeder monthly and her iron always drops after her period to the point of having the blurred vision etc. so, she has to have either a transfusion or iron injections. I am lost here in the U.S. as to what to do and my funds are now so depleted that I cannot afford to go to Camiguin. I have several items up for sale including property and a mint condition Harley Davidson. No one is buying....

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Iron is readily available as a supplement why is she not taking a daily multivitamin. I know vitamins are not cheap in the Philippines but doable.

• Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, bigmac said:

Arizona, thanks for your post. 

I am not sure what you by: "bring a friend who is not smitten. It's the only way you will know for sure." Can you elaborate, please? Thanks!

Don't mean to be rude, but if you bring someone who is not in love with this person, than they can have an objective opinion of what's going on. Some times when someone is in love, and the one they love is not in love with THEM, they can be played.

Whatever you do..be careful! And good luck to you.

• Love it 1

bigmac
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Don't mean to be rude, but if you bring someone who is not in love with this person, than they can have an objective opinion of what's going on. Some times when someone is in love, and the one they love is not in love with THEM, they can be played.

Whatever you do..be careful! And good luck to you.

Thanks for your input.

bigmac
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

Iron is readily available as a supplement why is she not taking a daily multivitamin. I know vitamins are not cheap in the Philippines but doable.

She is taking lots of iron by mouth as well as many other vitamins.

• Jollygoodfellow changed the title to Very sick wife, no it was a scam
  • Jollygoodfellow locked this topic