Very sick wife, no it was a scam

bigmac
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm back to my initial instincts also.  I know your wife lives on an island but I'm sure you are in regular contact and that like the vast majority of women in the Philippines she has a smart phone.

On average it should take her less than 5 minutes to take a picture of the receipts and diagnosis using the phone and for her to send them to you to put your mind at rest. 

I'd also be checking out her Facebook friends and asking them if they know what is going on. Who knows maybe one of them could help. 

If after 8 days she's not come forward with the documentation then I'm sorry I'd be stopping the money. 

In her defense, the signal on the island where she lives is sketchy at best. I know. I have been there. We cannot cam there where she lives in her remote community. She has to travel into town to cam with me and there are times when she is at her house that we cannot even chat.Getting pic to me is not as easy as you might think. Having said that, I keep an open mind to what "could be". Planning to go there as soon as I sell some property. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bigmac said:

n her defense, the signal on the island where she lives is sketchy at best. I know. I have been there. We cannot cam there where she lives in her remote community. She has to travel into town to cam with me and there are times when she is at her house that we cannot even chat.Getting pic to me is not as easy as you might think. Having said that, I keep an open mind to what "could be". Planning to go there as soon as I sell some property. Thanks for your input.

Its best to keep an opened mind. Some members here have their opinions as I do too but at the end of the day it's up to you as in what is right or wrong. To sum up what I see from what we have is that medication can be found much cheaper.  You yourself have not bothered to look into somethings like I suggested such as the Philippines Sweepstakes so who knows what is going on.  

• Like 1

bigmac
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Its best to keep an opened mind. Some members here have their opinions as I do too but at the end of the day it's up to you as in what is right or wrong. To sum up what I see from what we have is that medication can be found much cheaper.  You yourself have not bothered to look into somethings like I suggested such as the Philippines Sweepstakes so who knows what is going on.  

I myself, have certainly contacted them and others. Getting an answer from them is another problem. No hurry on their part to respond.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, bigmac said:

I myself, have certainly contacted them and others. Getting an answer from them is another problem. No hurry on their part to respond.

I believe that would be the case. I also think that an all English language request wont go as far as a Filipino request.  They will see you as rich. Would be good if you had a trusted Filipino to do the enquiries for you. 

bigmac
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I believe that would be the case. I also think that an all English language request wont go as far as a Filipino request.  They will see you as rich. Would be good if you had a trusted Filipino to do the enquiries for you. 

We will keep trying. She is working on this as well. Thanks...

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bigmac said:

In her defense, the signal on the island where she lives is sketchy at best. I know. I have been there. We cannot cam there where she lives in her remote community. She has to travel into town to cam with me and there are times when she is at her house that we cannot even chat.Getting pic to me is not as easy as you might think. Having said that, I keep an open mind to what "could be". Planning to go there as soon as I sell some property. Thanks for your input.

I'll agree that the internet is bad in places here but to take a picture and save it on your phone doesn't require internet.  When in town all she does is connect to a wifi hot spot in a cafe or mall and sent it to you via messenger or email.  It could save you a lot of running arround and additional frustration. You're running blind until you see the physical paperwork listing full diagnosis, record of bloods and costs of medication.

As we know getting the full information from a filipino is like pulling teath. At least armed with this information you can get advice where to go from there.  

I'd be seriously pissed if I was running myself into the ground and selling things for fast cash when there is no requirement. If she comes out with the excuse that she can't go into town due to health issues the least she can do for you is to get a friend or family member to do it for her. I'd be bending over backwards if someone was sending money to me that could keep me alive to prove I wasn't conning them. 

Good luck in however it turns out. In a way I hope she doesn't have a life threatening illness as obviously it's going to clear you out in the long run with no positive outcome. 

If she doesn't have an illness you will just join a large and growing list of ex pats conned out of their savings by wives and girlfriends. Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and be more prepared next time.

I'm saying this as someone who was screwed by a wife for a fortune.  It happens in the West also. It's just that here, conning can be a way of life when you live in a shack and want a better life. 

It's text book here. An older guy chats online to a young stunner but only meets her for a few weeks before marrying and going home to sell up and come and join them in paradise. They send the money to buy land and build a house and once that's completed you are forgotten about and the real boyfriend appears. Merrying a Westerner and getting the house can be more than the average Filipino will earn in a lifetime. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, bigmac said:

I pray you're "gut" is wrong. If you're right I have blown 6 years of my life with her.

@bigmac

:sad: sad to say Mac but you will not be the First and most definitely be the last that it happens to. Over the Years we hear Soooo many stories and of course we all have our own little story to tell. No one wants these things to happen but as I say they do, Because of the nature of the Philippine Culture once a story is told  it is set and although, it can change mid-course many times to a worse thing, with the inability to admit they are wrong, they continue in the fashion that they grew up with. PRIDE and never losing face BUT as we say, pride usually comes before a fall, I too hope my friend that we are all wrong but the longer you are kept in the dark the longer we will look at at from our experiences to date.

Jack:huh:

Morning All :photo-109:

Edited by Jack Peterson
must get a new spell check LOL
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bigmac said:

I pray you're "gut" is wrong. If you're right I have blown 6 years of my life with her.

Me too.

Also, we have to remember that values are different here and we shouldn't judge locals by out standards.  From one persepctive, she might be stealing from you but from another she's taking care of her family as best she can.

In short, don't be too hard on her if the worst case scenario turns out to be the actual situation - just decide for yourself if you can condone it.

IF being the key word here

bigmac
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'll agree that the internet is bad in places here but to take a picture and save it on your phone doesn't require internet.  When in town all she does is connect to a wifi hot spot in a cafe or mall and sent it to you via messenger or email.  It could save you a lot of running arround and additional frustration. You're running blind until you see the physical paperwork listing full diagnosis, record of bloods and costs of medication.

As we know getting the full information from a filipino is like pulling teath. At least armed with this information you can get advice where to go from there.  

I'd be seriously pissed if I was running myself into the ground and selling things for fast cash when there is no requirement. If she comes out with the excuse that she can't go into town due to health issues the least she can do for you is to get a friend or family member to do it for her. I'd be bending over backwards if someone was sending money to me that could keep me alive to prove I wasn't conning them. 

Good luck in however it turns out. In a way I hope she doesn't have a life threatening illness as obviously it's going to clear you out in the long run with no positive outcome. 

If she doesn't have an illness you will just join a large and growing list of ex pats conned out of their savings by wives and girlfriends. Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and be more prepared next time.

I'm saying this as someone who was screwed by a wife for a fortune.  It happens in the West also. It's just that here, conning can be a way of life when you live in a shack and want a better life. 

It's text book here. An older guy chats online to a young stunner but only meets her for a few weeks before marrying and going home to sell up and come and join them in paradise. They send the money to buy land and build a house and once that's completed you are forgotten about and the real boyfriend appears. Merrying a Westerner and getting the house can be more than the average Filipino will earn in a lifetime. 

I am well aware of what you are saying. I appreciate your input!

bigmac
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

@bigmac

:sad: sad to say Mac but you will not be the First and most definitely be the last that it happens to. Over the Years we hear Soooo many stories and of course we all have our own little story to tell. No one wants these things to happen but as I say they do, Because of the nature of the Philippine Culture once a story is told  it is set and although, it can change mid-course many times to a worse thing, with the inability to admit they are wrong, they continue in the fashion that they grew up with. PRIDE and never losing face BUT as we say, pride usually comes before a fall, I too hope my friend that we are all wrong but the longer you are kept in the dark the longer we will look at at from our experiences to date.

Jack:huh:

Morning All :photo-109:

I appreciate yours and, every one elses input on this.

• Jollygoodfellow changed the title to Very sick wife, no it was a scam
  • Jollygoodfellow locked this topic