Almost Deadly Footstep On Palawan

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

A short video about a near fatal footstep while wading in the water off one of the Palawan islands.

• Like 5

BobP
Posted
Posted

Wow! Max, you seem to be pretty close to him, but he didn't budge at all? Just curious why he didn't spook or anything.  What beautiful water!!!  I live in the USA and have never seen water so crystal clear!  Wow.  Great vid!  So happy he didn't bite you! 

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Damn Max!!!   That will wake you up.  I've always heard they will leave you alone if you're not perceived as a threat.  It's good to know it's true......

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've swam with them lots of times.  By all accounts they are extremely docile and unlikely to ever bite you.  Even if they tried their fangs are further inside their mouths than most snakes and they can only open their mouths a little.  I still wouldn't like to test the theory though. Here's a more active one I found on Sabang beach. Three times I threw it into the sea and 3 times it swam back to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Sea snakes generally are not aggressive,they also have trouble injecting their venom into a human due to short fangs , I worked in the gulf as a diver ,we had one golden rule , dont mess with it and it won't mess with you 

We never had a diver struck by a snake,the lion fish and cone shells got a couple of guys 

Also dont wear a flashing light at night , it draws them in for miles 

• Like 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 12/14/2018 at 10:44 PM, bastonjock said:

Sea snakes generally are not aggressive,they also have trouble injecting their venom into a human due to short fangs , I worked in the gulf as a diver ,we had one golden rule , dont mess with it and it won't mess with you 

We never had a diver struck by a snake,the lion fish and cone shells got a couple of guys 

Also dont wear a flashing light at night , it draws them in for miles 

Yes, as a diver myself I understand the docile nature of sea snakes.  And your point about not messing with them is exactly my point.  If you step on one you are messing with them in a bad way!!!  :-D

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

On the subject of snakes,here's what I bought my daughter for xmasIMG-20181220-WA0000.jpg