Buying a motorcycle.

Mitchellotyl
Posted
Posted

Hi guys. I travel to and from the Philippines about twice a year for several weeks to a month at a time. 
I would like to buy a second-hand motorcycle and leave it at our home in Marikina when I am in Australia.
I have been told that this is impossible as I require a Philippine license and I cant get a license unless I live here for a year.
Is this the way it works. Thanks

Howard
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mitchellotyl said:

Hi guys. I travel to and from the Philippines about twice a year for several weeks to a month at a time. 
I would like to buy a second-hand motorcycle and leave it at our home in Marikina when I am in Australia.
I have been told that this is impossible as I require a Philippine license and I cant get a license unless I live here for a year.
Is this the way it works. Thanks

You can buy a motorcycle and put it in your name no problem. As far as a license you can use your Aussie license for 90 days. I would just make sure that you have a  MC code on your Aussie license.

• Like 1

Mitchellotyl
Posted
Posted

so i don't need a Philippine licence to register the bike in my name?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mitchellotyl said:

They actually wanted my registration for my motorbike before they would give me the licence. When I bought my MB all I had to show was ID and I used my passport no problem all done in about 30 minutes.If you want a used MB try the dealers for the MB`s returned on default payments they sometimes have good deals.

• Like 1

Howard
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mitchellotyl said:

I didn't have a PI license when I bought mine and I bought it at a dealership. They wanted a copy of my passport and I honestly don't remember if the wanted to see my license from the US.

Mitchellotyl
Posted
Posted

thanks guys. i will give it a go when im over in feb. thanks

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Many don't even bother to register it in their own name.  Just keep re-insuring it every year in the old owner's name.  Done all the time.   So long as you pay your money and do the smoke test every year there is no requirement to transfer it to your name.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Many don't even bother to register it in their own name.  Just keep re-insuring it every year in the old owner's name.  Done all the time.   So long as you pay your money and do the smoke test every year there is no requirement to transfer it to your name.

That wouldn't work in CDO (not for a foreigner, not always anyway) because at the check points (due to Martial law) check the papers of the motorcycle against the rider.  If they don't match (or the vehicle is unregistered) then you can get sidelined until... well until later :)

It's a lot quicker going through a check point with a car (a few cars vs many motorbikes waiting).

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Absolutely true. Had a 1994 Honda Accord that I sold to my bro in law when I bought my new car. Had it for maybe six years and never changed the ownership papers at the LTO. He is doing the same thing that I did. As long as they get their money they don't care. Plus there is a fee to change the ownership. 

BTW I paid the LTO for the new license plates for the Accord 3 years ago and they still are not available..wonder why?..Hmmmm 

Mitchellotyl
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I have no problem putting it in my partners' name.  Keen to get over there and do a bit of touring around northern Luzon.

Will be interesting riding a small bike again :) but knowing the traffic over there in Marikina it's probably a good thing haha.

Thanks for your input guys. See you on the road