Hounddriver's Last Day On the Job Before Retirement!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I happened across this video of Dave's last day on the job!

• Love it 1
  • Haha 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Spent many days practicing stuff like that.  My favorite was the slingshot maneuver that I had to do one day.  That is when you have to take the snow-filled ditch, give it full throttle to go through the ditch and up the incline on the other side, then do about a 120-degree turn and go back through the ditch and back up on the road.  Sorry I have no video.  Those of you who have done some snowmobiling will recognize the maneuver but try doing it in a bus 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
canadamale
Posted
Posted

I remember in the middle 70's riding a big grey dog going down the Little Smokey between Valleyview and Donalley Corner. Blizzard, blowing snow, zero visablity, cold, pulling a trailer. We passed everything on the road, driver had nerves of steel. I got off in Nampa and could of kisses the ground I was so impressed with the driving that day. Highway was closed for weather just after we left Valleyview.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, canadamale said:

I remember in the middle 70's riding a big grey dog going down the Little Smokey between Valleyview and Donalley Corner. Blizzard, blowing snow, zero visablity, cold, pulling a trailer. We passed everything on the road, driver had nerves of steel. I got off in Nampa and could of kisses the ground I was so impressed with the driving that day. Highway was closed for weather just after we left Valleyview.

Been there.  Done that.  Could have been your driver.  Small world.  But that road was a piece of cake compared to portions of the Alaska Highway around Liard River during that same time frame.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Been there.  Done that.  Could have been your driver.  Small world.  But that road was a piece of cake compared to portions of the Alaska Highway around Liard River during that same time frame.

That's some skill doing donuts in a tight space.  Dave, you're da man.  I would love to ride with you!  By the way, do you do party or love bus, like they do in Las Vegas?  

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Jake said:

By the way, do you do party or love bus, like they do in Las Vegas?

Secret

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I ran the Alcan eleven times between '97 and '03. I remember 3 things about the Liard River Hot Springs:  1. The wood bison think they own the road and unlike the moose, pretty much go where and when they want despite horn taps. 2. The place isn't always accessible since they often shut it down because of intruding problem bears.  3. Mist and hoarfrost when the air temps drop.  But it is a nice soak when you can get to the pools.  Nice place to visit, but I now prefer the pools of the Pillapeens because, of course.... "Its More Fun". 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 3/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, manofthecoldland said:

I ran the Alcan eleven times between '97 and '03

Ah it was a sweet highway by then.  The difference from '79 to '97 was quite extreme.  '79 was the year of "stories you would not believe if you were not there" (like freezing raid that shut the highway for 3 full days . . which I had to spend at the hot springs as we could not move.)  Ahh the good old days.

• Like 4