Is it against the law for a filipina to live with a man who is still officially married in another country?

peterfe
Posted
Posted

There's always something... Here I am, happy in the Philippines in a good relationship, and I was planning to take my partner to Hong Kong for a few days sometime next year. Then suddenly I thought, hey, it says "separated" on my ACR card. What if immigration when we leave or come back notice that?  By the way, I was married in another country and it's impossible for me to get a divorce from there. So my question is: does the adultery law apply if the married person was married in another country?

If this might be a problem, as I will be renewing my ACR card before we travel and putting a new address, maybe I can just put "divorced" on the form this time instead of "separated"...

And one thought leads to another - apart from possible problems in immigration, perhaps anyone who is jealous of us could report us to the police if they knew I was separated, or is it only the spouse of the person committing adultery who can do that? 

Thanks very much for info or advice.  

RBM
Posted
Posted

I like many here come an go from the Philippines on a regular basis. Never at Immigration have I been asked for my ACR card. They will how ever want evidence your partner is going to return to Philippines.

Often they ask for pictures of the two of you together, just need to ensure the relationship is genuine.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The last thing I would do is to lie,this can get you in a lot of hot water in the future with immigration.If they find out you could be deported and banned from coming here again.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

The last thing I would do is to lie,this can get you in a lot of hot water in the future with immigration.If they find out you could be deported and banned from coming here again.

This.  You are either divorced or you're not so stick with the truth rather than a convenient lie

• Like 2

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Thanks. The best thing to do would be to leave the ACR card at home when travelling abroad, as it seems it's never asked for. No problem with pictures of us together dated more than a year ago, I could even take a year-old rental contract with both our names on it just in case.

But I'm still wondering whether it's actually illegal for my partner to be living with a separated (married) person when the marriage was not under Philippine law.  

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I know of a few cases of even married Filipinos living with foreigners and they never have a problem. Adultery is an offence that only women can be charged with. 

As you've said just leave your ACR card at home and travel on your passport. The only advice that is set in stone here is keep all personal information to yourselves. Most areas don't need newspapers as the women will tell everyone they know about your personal life. 

There's not much financial gain to be had when it's the foreigner that is married.  If it was the other way around I'd be more worried. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Depends on what counrty you are travelling in.

Mick
Posted
Posted

I was married for 7 years coming here living with the GF. And we travelled a lot, she was questioned many times, such as Show your return ticket, how are you financing the trip, then she would point to me, and no problem. 

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Thanks again. That's a relief, sounds like I don't have to worry, so I can continue enjoying life in the Philippines. Just make sure I keep personal information to myself, be careful in choosing friends, don't make anyone lose face, don't talk to children, don't get angry in public, don't insult anyone...

jimeve
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, peterfe said:

Thanks again. That's a relief, sounds like I don't have to worry, so I can continue enjoying life in the Philippines. Just make sure I keep personal information to myself, be careful in choosing friends, don't make anyone lose face, don't talk to children, don't get angry in public, don't insult anyone...

Just stay in bed lol

• Haha 1