Strange approach

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm currently in Manila and just walked out of a 7/11 when a smart dressed local approached me and introduced himself. He spole perfect English and made the usual small talk about where I'm from etc. 

The talk got around to his daughter being a care giver in Edinburgh and could he trouble me for one hour of my time to meet her? The old spidey senses kicked in and I made my excuses. 

What's the possible con here as it was just too slick? I declined and legged it. :89:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Who knows, could have been anything.... trust your intuition.:thumbsup:

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

If she's in Edinburgh, how would you meet her? Anyway, that was baiting, not the con. There was more con to come.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm currently in Manila and just walked out of a 7/11 when a smart dressed local approached me and introduced himself. He spole perfect English and made the usual small talk about where I'm from etc. 

The talk got around to his daughter being a care giver in Edinburgh and could he trouble me for one hour of my time to meet her? The old spidey senses kicked in and I made my excuses. 

What's the possible con here as it was just too slick? I declined and legged it. :89:

Should've asked for a picture first! :tongue:

Joking apart - you did exactly what I would have done.  When it seems strange, it almost always is

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Good for you Snowy......... you did exactly what I would have done.  There's no good ending to his story and approach and without a doubt it's a staged setup.   But I must say.......one I've never heard of before.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Years ago we were staying a hotel in Manila and the room phone rang, I answered and a very well spoken filipino gentleman asked if we could take a small package to the airport for him. How did he know we were going to the airport and where did he get the room number. We checked out immediately and left.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This sounds like what they call Budol-budol once thought to have been out of fashion but there have been recent cases in Dumaguete

The Gangs (Usually gangs) with a front man tend to pick on the Elderly But..............................:whistling: Have aread

https://news.abs-cbn.com/nation/metro-manila/04/18/15/budol-budol-hypnotism-or-plain-sweet-talk 

:tiphat: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

You have to let that thing in your brain that senses something wrong take charge. Looks like most people are doing it. Some though will have to learn the hard way.:SugarwareZ-037:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Last Saturday here in Daet I was waiting outside a store while my partner did her shopping thing, no problems there was a lot of eye candy walking up and down the street when I noticed a well dressed bloke looking at me, so not being one to be rude I said hello, so over he comes and does the talk thing, where am I from, where do I live blah blah blah, when I noticed my partner coming towards me I said to the bloke "well I must be off" to which he replied "Before you go you look as though you are a rich man and I am needing some money to get home, can you give me 500pesos?"

I pulled 20pesos out of my pocket and said to him "here is 20 which should get you somewhere".

We then go to the SM mall to do the grocery shop and after that I am standing there waiting for me partner to get a drink when another man comes up to me and starts the same shite, where are you from? before he could get another word out of his mouth I said "I already have been conned once this morning, so you are wasting your time, phuck off"

Last week we had to go to a funeral for one of my partners relatives, so me not liking funerals went to a second hand car yard nearby to do some tyre kicking (just to see what is there, with no intention of buying anything), together with a family friend, male variety.

I was looking at a Toyota Rav4, having  a look inside the normal thing when this salesman comes over and start the blah blah with me, so I changed tack and pretended I was interested, while I was looking at the engine I noticed the salesman talking to my friend, no problem I thought they just doing some chinwag.

So having decided the funeral was ended I could go I told the salesman I would be back later.

When we left the yard my friend told me that the salesman had told him that if he could persuade me to buy the car he would give him 10k

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Not long ago was posted a picture of a well respected forum member with a one thousand peso bill on his forehead. Kinda sums up what most local nationals see of Expats and visitors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1