Strange approach

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

This sounds like what they call Budol-budol once thought to have been out of fashion but there have been recent cases in Dumaguete

The Gangs (Usually gangs) with a front man tend to pick on the Elderly But..............................:whistling: Have aread

https://news.abs-cbn.com/nation/metro-manila/04/18/15/budol-budol-hypnotism-or-plain-sweet-talk 

:tiphat: 

Maybe it's the Rubberband Man Gang!  :hystery:

Once I went to hear them play
At a club outside of town
I was so surprised
I was hypnotized
By the sound this cat put down
When I saw this short fat guy
Stretch a band between his toes
Hey, I laughed so hard
'Cause the man got down
When he finally reached his goal

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2018 at 10:07 AM, Onemore52 said:

"Before you go you look as though you are a rich man and I am needing some money to get home, can you give me 500pesos?"

And I thought my beggar experience was bad.  Coming out of a shop I was confronted by a beggar woman followed by a gaggle of children.  She said "Merry Christmas" about 3 times with her hand out and then she said "200 pesos only" I had to laugh and I said "200 pesos would be a Merry christmas gift for me too".

Whatever happened to the good old days when they only asked for 2 pesos?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Whatever happened to the good old days when they only asked for 2 pesos?

It's all down to Brexit!

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2018 at 10:42 AM, Old55 said:

Not long ago was posted a picture of a well respected forum member with a one thousand peso bill on his forehead. Kinda sums up what most local nationals see of Expats and visitors.

Nothing to do with this topic but way back in 2003 I think, I dropped my gf off in Quiapo for some shopping and she would take public transport home when she was done. I was driving my Wrangler. On the way home I realized that I had given her every single peso that I had on me. The toll road to get home was p18 at the time so I had to pull into a shopping mall and find someone I could beg money from. Luckily the first Filipino guy that I explained my situation to handed me a 20p bill and I was on my way. 

My point is that not all Filipinos are out to scam you.

That's my son in the pic. He's 13 now.

side view at singit ang anak ko.jpg

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

My point is that not all Filipinos are out to scam you.

Absolutely true.  It's probably just that people like us tend to be the target for con artists here (as foreigners are in most countries) so we have a rather skewed  view of such things. 

I have also noticed that locals tend to love to overstate negative things here (out of some kind of perverse pride?) and I wonder if half of what I hear happens. Example - my neighbour said "Don't take your CD player to be repaired - the technician will steal all the good parts and replace with cheaper ones"!  

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Absolutely true.  It's probably just that people like us tend to be the target for con artists here (as foreigners are in most countries) so we have a rather skewed  view of such things. 

I have also noticed that locals tend to love to overstate negative things here (out of some kind of perverse pride?) and I wonder if half of what I hear happens. Example - my neighbour said "Don't take your CD player to be repaired - the technician will steal all the good parts and replace with cheaper ones"!  

Almost everyone here, when they ask you how much you paid for something will tell you that THEY could have got it much cheaper. Nowadays when someone asks me how much I paid I give them an inflated number just so they can think I'm an idiot. My gf hates it when I do that but for me it's fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yesterday the Nissan diesel would not turn over, just a click on from the ignition, must be battery me thinks.

So I disconnected the battery terminals cleaned the posts, and then reconnected, started first time.

Said to my gf, the thing is right to go, off you go to the markets, no problem.

Got a call from her a couple of hours later, “the car won’t start”

When I got to the car, the same clicking sound, so sent gf down the road a bit to get a new battery, which came back 10 mins later, put new battery in and still the same “click” what to do?

A couple of locals were watching this and suggested we just clutch start it, yeah worth a try., bloody thing is a diesel though, and Diesel engines require a lot more to get to start.

So here we are the gf, me, the bloke that helped install the battery, and 3 other blokes that were walking by pushing this thing backwards and forwards in the middle of the Main Street trying to get this thing to start.

Being the Main Street and Christmas, there were some children nearby doing the Carol singing for money routine, they were standing nearby singing when this dog of a car kicked into life.

Some gratuities were handed out and then we were on the way. The gf told me on the way home that a couple of the blokes that helped us were calling around to their mates for some advice, because I was of the opinion that it was the starter motor, but no there were some other gremlins in the ignition.

When we arrived home I parked the dog and said to gf we will just take your car to do the shopping, a Mazda 3 auto, went to start it and no go, a flat battery.

One of those days.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Yesterday the Nissan diesel would not turn over, just a click on from the ignition, must be battery me thinks.

So I disconnected the battery terminals cleaned the posts, and then reconnected, started first time.

Said to my gf, the thing is right to go, off you go to the markets, no problem.

Got a call from her a couple of hours later, “the car won’t start”

When I got to the car, the same clicking sound, so sent gf down the road a bit to get a new battery, which came back 10 mins later, put new battery in and still the same “click” what to do?

A couple of locals were watching this and suggested we just clutch start it, yeah worth a try., bloody thing is a diesel though, and Diesel engines require a lot more to get to start.

So here we are the gf, me, the bloke that helped install the battery, and 3 other blokes that were walking by pushing this thing backwards and forwards in the middle of the Main Street trying to get this thing to start.

Being the Main Street and Christmas, there were some children nearby doing the Carol singing for money routine, they were standing nearby singing when this dog of a car kicked into life.

Some gratuities were handed out and then we were on the way. The gf told me on the way home that a couple of the blokes that helped us were calling around to their mates for some advice, because I was of the opinion that it was the starter motor, but no there were some other gremlins in the ignition.

When we arrived home I parked the dog and said to gf we will just take your car to do the shopping, a Mazda 3 auto, went to start it and no go, a flat battery.

One of those days.

I had the same problem with my Suzuki Scrum it turned out that the alternator was faulty and not putting enough charge into the battery.Maybe you should get yours checked.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I had the same problem with my Suzuki Scrum it turned out that the alternator was faulty and not putting enough charge into the battery.Maybe you should get yours checked.

Thanks, will do. When this started happening my first thought was that it had been 2 years since I had the battery replaced, and leaving the radio on for 2 days might not have helped either.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Similar issue with Nissan X-Trail.  Ended up to be sticky brushes on the starter motor.