Cost For Braces For 14 year Old

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I really like my dentist and he charges more than other local dentists, but based on the prices I see when other customers are paying, he is charging me the same, without a foreigner tax.

He does not do orthodontics, but has an orthodontist come in every two weeks, from the N. Manila area.  We met with her a couple of months ago about getting my 14 year olds teeth straightened, followed up with impressions and x-rays.

We met with her again yesterday and she is quoting us p90,000 for professional fee, for approximately 18-20 month treatment.

We polled a few friends and most are paying about 40,000.  I think she is giving me a big longnose tax and we will probably not do it.

What do you think?  Any experiences? 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I really like my dentist and he charges more than other local dentists, but based on the prices I see when other customers are paying, he is charging me the same, without a foreigner tax.

He does not do orthodontics, but has an orthodontist come in every two weeks, from the N. Manila area.  We met with her a couple of months ago about getting my 14 year olds teeth straightened, followed up with impressions and x-rays.

We met with her again yesterday and she is quoting us p90,000 for professional fee, for approximately 18-20 month treatment.

We polled a few friends and most are paying about 40,000.  I think she is giving me a big longnose tax and we will probably not do it.

What do you think?  Any experiences? 

I''m not sure asking other longnoses like us will help you much!

Seriously though, if most around you are saying 40,000 then that's the number - it's hard to see how that can reasonably be multiplied to 90,000 

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Seems way too high and I think she is trying to charge western prices to a westerner.  Although I've had no experience with orthodontics, I did need to see a dentist last week to replace a crown/cap that had come off.  No damage, only needed to be glued back in place.  S-I-L recommended a neighbor who was a dentist and all her other recommendations had worked out well.  So we go to visit his clinic.  Talking with the dentist I learned he had family members in the US and he just returned for Boston the week before.   Fee for 10 minutes time in the chair and gluing the undamaged crown was Php 5,000.00.  Very nice gentleman but I suppose I will not see him again.  Should have asked the fee first, my mistake.  I'm sure it could have been done cheaper elsewhere.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Does seem expensive, I had the same done last week here in the UK and it cost about 1400 pesos. I axpect the Philippines to be much cheaper than the UK.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Seems way too high and I think she is trying to charge western prices to a westerner.  Although I've had no experience with orthodontics, I did need to see a dentist last week to replace a crown/cap that had come off.  No damage, only needed to be glued back in place.  S-I-L recommended a neighbor who was a dentist and all her other recommendations had worked out well.  So we go to visit his clinic.  Talking with the dentist I learned he had family members in the US and he just returned for Boston the week before.   Fee for 10 minutes time in the chair and gluing the undamaged crown was Php 5,000.00.  Very nice gentleman but I suppose I will not see him again.  Should have asked the fee first, my mistake.  I'm sure it could have been done cheaper elsewhere.

Yes, he got you!  I have had a crown glued back twice here.  Same one came off twice.  The first time I went to a dentist at the mall and I think she overcharged me at around p1200.  Last time was my current dentist and he did not charge much at all.  Can't recall the exact amount.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

OK, here is a weird coincidence.  I mentioned to my wife that we should ask one of the parents at my daughters school about his braces.  So we went to the mall today (big mistake but that is another story!) and first thing in the mall we bump into him and his family!  So I ask him about his braces and he says "just a minute, my dentist is right over there.  I'll introduce you."!

He had to hunt around for a few minutes but he brought her over.  She said her normal metal braces start at about p30,000 and of course it would be more depending on what is needed.  We will probably stop by and see her.

The parent told me his cost about p120,000 but that included a lot of special restoration work before the braces went on, and he has the new fangled braces, not just the simple metal ones.  His teeth look really good now so I guess the braces are about ready to come off.

And, the dentist also has braces!  However, I didn't ask who put them on!

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife had braces a couple years ago.  For the 18 month treatment, braces, monthly adjustments, and retainers the total cost was p 27,000.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

OK, here is a weird coincidence.  I mentioned to my wife that we should ask one of the parents at my daughters school about his braces.  So we went to the mall today (big mistake but that is another story!) and first thing in the mall we bump into him and his family!  So I ask him about his braces and he says "just a minute, my dentist is right over there.  I'll introduce you."!

He had to hunt around for a few minutes but he brought her over.  She said her normal metal braces start at about p30,000 and of course it would be more depending on what is needed.  We will probably stop by and see her.

The parent told me his cost about p120,000 but that included a lot of special restoration work before the braces went on, and he has the new fangled braces, not just the simple metal ones.  His teeth look really good now so I guess the braces are about ready to come off.

And, the dentist also has braces!  However, I didn't ask who put them on!

OK, now I find out I screwed up this story.  I was chasing our 2.5 year old around the arcade area while my wife chatted more with our friend and the dentist.

He recommended this dentist because she is the daughter of his church pastor!  She is young and probably does not have much experience.  His braces were done by another male dentist whose name he never mentioned.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

OK, now I find out I screwed up this story.  I was chasing our 2.5 year old around the arcade area while my wife chatted more with our friend and the dentist.

He recommended this dentist because she is the daughter of his church pastor!  She is young and probably does not have much experience.  His braces were done by another male dentist whose name he never mentioned.

Age and lengthy experience are very important factors to consider, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out a young professional on that basis alone. My daughter, who's been a licensed and practicing dental hygienist in the States for the last 15 years, advises me to use younger dentists if needed because they are more current with and accepting of the latest evolved accepted practices. She also tells me that most professional dental workers deal with levels of carpal ache and pain and your age works against you in that matter. That's why many work 4 day work weeks. Just another experienced, knowledgeable opinion FYI and consideration.  

• Like 2