Open my gate

RBM
Posted
Posted

Guess maybe venting here how ever our neighbour whom we get on well with has several expensive toys and an annoying habit.

He plus his fat kids come and go on a regular basis, what amazes me is their reluctance to ever get out of their car and open the gate. Now I'm not bitching as our Sala and terrace is quite far away, how ever point is they will sit an parp the horn for ages if no help close by.

The fat kids would hardly be 20 yet same issue, not sure it's laziness or pride. Myself when driving it's just an automatic impulse to jump out and open gate.

Be interested if many others experience this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I think we all know that the 'locals' have no concept of  'consideration' .  :sad:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

has several expensive toys

Suggest another expensive toy:  remote control gate opener! :dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

laziness or pride.

Ingrained sense of entitlement.

One of my nieces, years ago was sitting not 5 feet from the water pitcher, a maid walked by and she ordered a glass of water in a very commanding voice. She was all of 12 years old I think at the time.

I asked her at the time if her legs were broken, boy did I get a blank look. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Scott, I think you’re exactly right. We don’t know for sure but it’s likely the family sees it as the Helper’s job to open the gate and be prepared to help if needed. No thought that a loud horn would disturb others, it’s all about me.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Well RBM, you've opened up a can of worms or maybe it's a can of maggots.  Most of this type of Filipino behavior is called being an "Aristocrat".   I would not necessarily blame it on the adult brats, it's in their blood....like being born with a gold plated mahogany spoon. 

This phenomenon is not unique to the Philippines.  They are known as "Trust Fund Babies" or persons who are unable to be productive members of society.  Some never had the opportunity to succeed or even become independent.  So the parents have to set aside money to take care of their monetary needs for life.  These parasites deserve either our scorn or pity.  Hard to tell if it's their fault or the parents.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Suggest another expensive toy:  remote control gate opener! :dance:

Jobs are scarce especially in the provinces.  Hiring someone to open the gate is preferable than purchasing a foreign manufactured remote control gate opener, in my opinion.  You can suggest to your neighbor giving the person opening the gate an inexpensive mobile phone.  Just text message ahead of time and the gate keeper would be there waiting for their arrival.  I notice car owners with drivers use this method when ready to depart a restaurant, shop or hotel.

• Like 2

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

RBM I thought this was a characteristic of most all males in RP.  (I said "most" not all).  From what I have seen, when it's a male driving up to the gate they will honk the horn and never budge from their seat.  But if it's a female, they will get out and open the gate.  And it's always a female who comes from the house to open the gate for the lazy occupant of the vehicle.  I guess they have decided that the lady opening the gate for the man is a way of honoring and submitting to them..........?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Hiring someone to open the gate is preferable

Sorry JJ, I am not buying this. There is just something "Me First" endemic about the Filipino character IN GENERAL.

1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Jobs are scarce

Following this logic, it is ok to litter because if you don't then all the barangay ladies who earn 100 pesos a day on the "livelihood program" would be out of a job, so its our duty to litter. Or its ok to counter flow in traffic, even though its against the law, because no one is using that part of the road right now anyway.

Or why is there rarely any toilet paper in mall or government buildings? Is it a cost saving measure? Nope, because folks will just steal it. Or no toilet seats? so people don't stand on them while doing their business (now this might be cultural so will retract the example if needed). Or cutting in line, or load karaoke, the list could go on and on.

Is this a mini rant,,,oh yeah, is it based on truth,,,I believe so :whatever:

• Like 4