Open my gate

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Going back to the basic premise, is the neighbor even aware that their honking the car horn to get someone to open the gate is irritating to you? Has the issue been discussed in a non-confrontational manner?

I would never advocate littering to provide work for street cleaners. That's silly.

No toilet paper in public toilets is a problem. The solution is to bring your own. Supermarkets even sell small packets. I have observed in large offices clerical staff with a roll on top of their desk.  To me, it's unsightly, but the practice seems to be acceptable.

A friend from Bangalore, India told me everyone at their IT office has a vest or bag containing a stapler, paper clips, pencils, memo pads, etcetera because if you leave anything on the desk, it will be gone upon your return. As a foreign executive, he had an assistant whose job included carrying those items for him.

I still remember the time when many restaurants in Europe (and Japan) had Turkish toilets. Squatting was the mandatory position. I guess some continue to do that even if it's a Western toilet. Since we are on this subject, have any of you gotten used to a cup of water for washing instead of using toilet paper? At our hotel in Makati, they had a squirt gun for washing.

Edited by JJReyes

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Going back to the basic premise,

The premise of the OP was not looking for a solution JJ. But rather commenting on  the attitude of the neighbors overweight kids. 

56 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The solution is to bring your own

Your a world traveler JJ, how many and what countries have you visited with the same TP dilemma lolol

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Should we tip the gate keepers less if we have to honk more than once? :shades:

• Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Going back to the basic premise, is the neighbor even aware that their honking the car horn to get someone to open the gate is irritating to you? Has the issue been discussed in a non-confrontational manner?

I would never advocate littering to provide work for street cleaners. That's silly.

No toilet paper in public toilets is a problem. The solution is to bring your own. Supermarkets even sell small packets. I have observed in large offices clerical staff with a roll on top of their desk.  To me, it's unsightly, but the practice seems to be acceptable.

A friend from Bangalore, India told me everyone at their IT office has a vest or bag containing a stapler, paper clips, pencils, memo pads, etcetera because if you leave anything on the desk, it will be gone upon your return. As a foreign executive, he had an assistant whose job included carrying those items for him.

I still remember the time when many restaurants in Europe (and Japan) had Turkish toilets. Squatting was the mandatory position. I guess some continue to do that even if it's a Western toilet. Since we are on this subject, have any of you gotten used to a cup of water for washing instead of using toilet paper? At our hotel in Makati, they had a squirt gun for washing.

No JJ it's not really an irritant as we only hear it if we're sitting in one place, our place is large and most times we don't  hear it.

Main reason for mentioning this was to find out if it's common and the mind set behind it, I just regard it as someone trying to be an upstart. Just because one is born into wealth does not  give them the right to Lord it over locals as seems to be the case To make it worse the chief hooker is a fit guy whom I see regularly working out in the gym.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, scott h said:
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Your a world traveler JJ, how many and what countries have you visited with the same TP dilemma lolol

Lack of TP in facilities located at visitor attractions is actually becoming a problem.  Tourism growth has been increasing yearly to a point where many countries are now looking for ways to reduce the numbers.  Imagine 5 or 6 tour buses arriving at the same time  The lines are especially long in the women's section.

Granted we are privileged by having a private toilet everywhere we go in the United States (small motorhome with water flushing system like your home, but requires marine toilet paper).  Public toilets, including those in federal and state parks, oftentimes have empty dispensers.  This includes dispensers with giant rolls meant to last a long time.  RV parks like Kampgrounds of America (KOA) still have pretty good maintenance.  Nearly all their facilities require a passcode to use.  

We carry packets of tissue paper in our carry bags when traveling anywhere.  It's for emergency use only.  Manufactured by companies like Kleenex, these three-ply paper don't really disintegrate well.  They are useful for after washing hands.  Some facilities don't have hand blowers or their blowers are broken.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

As for the gate. I would wait till you see the car leave then sneak over and put a big chain and lock on it. Watch from a distance when they come home :SugarwareZ-005:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It's not a problem unique to the Philippines but 2 (or more) wrongs never made a right!

I think it's a factor that in countries like the Philippines and other places like Singapore, Hong Kong and the Middle East, the availability of cheap helpers allows "normal' families to have a helper but many such families don't possess basic manners, or worse still like to lord it over their poor helper to show how well they've done for themselves.

I feel a little annoyed when I see how a couple of my neighbours treat their helpers given both were themselves employed as helpers in Singapore thus should have some empathy.  Both are Filipina by the way. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

how many and what countries have you visited with the same TP dilemma lolol

Canada, and probably US.  But you have to visit places that are frequented by to less fortunate.  When driving a bus I have see the store owners go so far as to put an "out of order" sign on the Toilet when the bus arrives and take it down when they leave.  Reason:  There is no profit in having people come into your shop to mess up your toilet, steal your toilet paper, and leave.  More convenient if it is "out of order"

Now I have that off my chest, in the more "normal" stores, malls and gas stations there is always tissue available in Canada, but then we use tissue to wipe.  What would Filipinos use it for if they are used to washing with a different method in their own house?  It is only foreigners who complain about no tissue in the CR. Am I wrong about that?

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's not a problem unique to the Philippines but 2 (or more) wrongs never made a right!

I think it's a factor that in countries like the Philippines and other places like Singapore, Hong Kong and the Middle East, the availability of cheap helpers allows "normal' families to have a helper but many such families don't possess basic manners, or worse still like to lord it over their poor helper to show how well they've done for themselves.

I feel a little annoyed when I see how a couple of my neighbours treat their helpers given both were themselves employed as helpers in Singapore thus should have some empathy.  Both are Filipina by the way. 

I feel a LOT annoyed when I see it happen and it sucks. I pay my housekeeper very good wages and when I decide to replace an appliance..she gets the old one that still works. She gets here at about 5am. except for Sundays, her day off, and I insist she leaves by 11am or so. She eats every morning with us at the same table and she dotes on my son. She gets a generous year end bonus cuz she deserves it. She's really funny and is with us for all of the holidays and birthdays..including hers.

She's my gf's Mom. And she's great.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1